HybridZ

Pics of my newly converted V8-Z :)

Finally, I slapped that motor into my car! I was waiting forever for my billet steel flywheel (17 lbs versus the 26.5 for the one I was going to be using.. yikes!) I bolted the tranny to the motor and got it al ready to go. Wasn't as hard as expected. I borrowed a hoist from my friend Joel and its legs were too tall to slide under my crossmember (remember, super low car..) and the arm wasn't long enough as I had it set up. He needed it back anyway, so I went and rented a hoist. Started to jack the motor up, and I realize that the hydraulic cylinder's not holding pressure! I had to wait yet another day. Ended up just trading the one hoist for another from the rental place and dropped her in today after waiting for two hours for my dad to get home from work.

The hardest part was getting the motor mounts bolted up. I got the bolt into the driver's side no problem because the spacer on that side is so large. Getting the passenger side one lined up without having my wrist crushed by the header was tough. My dad got it threaded twice and both times I turned the wrench the wrong way and unscrewed it (doh!) But eventually we got it in there. Not a big deal. I still need to line everything up nicely and work with the tranny crossmember, but here's some pics of what she'll sort of look like when she's done icon_smile.gif

V8Z photos

Guest Fast Frog

Good clean setup!! Looks great!! I had to snip a little metal around the left side of the shifter slot along the tranny tunnel so the shifter wouldn't rub against the tunnel itself. Keep up the good work!! icon_smile.gif

Thanks guys! icon_smile.gif

RX0510, yeah, those are the Flaming Engraving valve covers (tall style).

I'm wondering how you guys determine when the tranny is pointing directly at the diff - I'd hate to have it off by a little bit and have vibration. There's been lots of discussion on vertical angle but none horizontal. Since the crossmember is slotted, it allows for unprecise alignment. I hope it will all become clear once I get the car up in the air and start lining up the tranny crossmember, and once I get the shifter more into place. I think I may be able to slide the engine back a little bit, anyway.

Frog, was your driveshaft length the same or near the same as the JTR specs with the T5 tranny?

Guest Fast Frog

Nion:

My drive shaft was right on the money as recommended in the JTR manual. I used the inside edge of the frame rail as a means of measuring and keeping the fly wheel pilot hole tranny and drive shaft in line with the diff. So far no vibration!!

Very nice pics. I was surprised by the shifter location too. Like Fast Frog, I had to trim a little metal off the left side of the hole. Mine sits a little farther back as well. I wonder if there were differences in the shifter location in verious years of the F-body?

Ditto the valve covers, Ver Kool! icon_cool.gif