HybridZ

2JZGTE electronics compatibility

Guest Zachb55

Guest Zachb55

I am a big fan of both the 72' 240Z and the 2JZGTE supra engine. I see alot of problems when putting one into a Z Car though. My biggest worry about compatability are all the "Newer Age" electronics found on a Supra's engine.

Do you guys know if you can simply remove alot of these electronics or should you keep them and just upgrade the car to that level...?

hail.gif:mad:

There is a guy on the forum by the name of tony fruzza who is doin the swap himself. I would check down this page a ways since it seems like I was just reading about it a few days ago. maybe in the turbo forum. I would do the swap in a second but I have too much Datsun Love rockon.gif now Im goin to have a cold one cheers.gif

maybe some of this later puke.gif

HAHA I LOVE THE NEW GREMLINS :D:D later

~Kenny

You would think that the stock ECU would be the easist and cheapest way to go, but if you are considering doing any modifications to the engine for more performance you will save a lot of money in the long run if you go with a stand alone engine management system. There is no question in my mind that the 2JZ-GTE ECU is a fine peice, that in stock form is probably good for 380hp or so. If you want any more then you need to start getting into multiple piggy back systems from HKS, Apex, Greddy, etc. Things like fuel cut off defencers, vein presure converters, fuel control, and adjustment, etc. After you add them up you you could easily have over $3,000 invested in piggy back computers when a single purchace of say $1,500 for a stand alone system could have done the same thing, and includes more features. With the money saved you could be putting that into a T04 single large turbo setup :-)

I'm going with WolfEMS, I'm in the middle of installing it right now, and it seems pretty strait forward. It has a LCD display that allows you to setup all of the settings, or you can do it with a PC. There are memory cartridges, built in electric boost controler, turbo timer. There is also real time PC software to view how things are doing on your laptop, and data logging.

I was able to use a modified stock cam possition sensor, and the stock coil packs (with coil igniters). It even supports an idle control selonoid. I enquired about installing the system on the 2JZ-GTE, and it's just as strait forward as on my 7M-GTE.

There is a great price difference between the 7M and 2JZ, and with some reason. The 2JZ has a better flowing head, stronger pistons, and doesn't have tendancies to blow the stock head gasket. With the money I saved I could do a lot of mods to the 7M that I wouldn't have been able to aford if I went whith the 2JZ. I've already installed a HKS intercooler, 550cc/min injectors, TRD clutch kit, 500hp Accel fuel pump, and have plans to upgrade my turbo, install ARP head studs, and a HKS 1mm metal head gasket.

Here are some pics of the engine installed:

http://www.zhome.com/~aktar/zcar/7m/mounted/

I need to put up some new ones, I've since finished the intercooler piping, and installed an RX7 oil cooler.

Ok, you've sold me =o)

Luckily, I've got most of the stuff required to tune the stock ECU on most newer cars already sitting in my garage, since I've been building my 1G DSM up for quite a few years now.

I heard once that the MKIII guys have gotten around the blown HG problem by torquing the stock headgasket down another 20lbs. or so...

I've priced out the engine, ecu, harness, and ecu for $1500 from a local place, how much more do you think it will run to get it in and running and what all custom parts have you had to fab/buy. I saw that you were able to use '89 Supra mounts.

When considering all of th eblack box add-on alphabet soup doodads stop and look at the about to be released AEM ECU. PnP for the later Supra and I'll be picking one up for about $1390 :D

As for the stock setup being good for 380... Mine dynoed at about 390RWHP with very little done. Others have gotten 450RWHP with better tuning and better mods - the FFCD on my car isn't "ideal" for instance. I went to the track today with the Supra and will post times in another more appropriate area ;)

How many pounds of boost before fuel cut off with say exhaust and intake done? My MKIII boosts up to 12 pounds before cut off, and makes around 290hp at the crank.

The supra mounts I used were simply just rubber blocks with two studs sticking out each end. I had to fabricate a mount to go between the engine and the rubber block that is mounted on the Z cross member in the same place the old rubber mount was. You will find that the old location of the mounts on the engine are WAY far back from where you want them. You need to bolt the new mount that you fabricat up to where the A/C and the power steering used to bolt up.

I didn't use the stock tranny tunnel mounts, they were too far foward, and taking them out will make the fit more comfortable. I modified a MKII supra mount and then made it so that it would bolt up to the side of the tunnel like this:

/

/

___/

Consider cost of making a drive line, exhaust (3" if you want over 300hp), new clutch, shifter (can use one out of a MKII supra). Stock clutch master cylinder should work fine. Everyone I've talked to suggests replacing the timing belt. I took a good look at mine and it still looked new, I plan on taking the head off after I get it running to replace the head gasket and such, so I'll replace it then.

There will be a lot of holes in the thermostat housing that will need plugging, a few on the intake manifold. I picked up several different sizes of drill bits and NPT taps/plugs.

Intercooler piping, intercooler, filter. My fuel system wasn't cheap. Lots more, just hard to add it all up into one lump sum, kinda afraid too.

If you are sticking with the stock engine management setup I'd highly suggest getting a Lexus V8 AFM body, swapping your sensor into it, then upgrading the injectors to a 550cc/min. This will raise the fuel cut a great deal, and will make your investment make more sense.

My car seems heavier in the front now, I'm not sure how much, but I'd like to put one of those aluminum camaro radiators to lighten things up, and maybe relocate the battery.

Not positive on MKIV boost cut but think it's around 14lbs or so. My boost cut MAP is bypassed which is "bad" for a number of reasons - will be fixed with an aftermarket ECU "soon". Intake, DP, exhaust is enough to hit cut on a MKIV BTW hence the bypass done by the previous owner. Pulling the wastegate hose gets me as high as 1.7BAR but usually no more than 1.3BAR. At those boost levels this puppy is scary fast but I'm sure the turbos hate me ;)

Guest Zachb55

Thanks for all the info guys, its a big help i cant wait till i get my z and start ripping into it, i have a new site where i plan on posting my experiences i will post the address when i think its looking ok.