HybridZ

Adive for Z project, I'm new, bare with me

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok guys, well, I'm new here and I'm definately in the market for a new Z and I have some pretty big plans. I plan on buying a early 70's 240z and I hope to transplant an RB26DETT in it. How would Now my questions are, how exactly do you go about this. The first thing that comes to mind is engine mounting, would i have to prefab my own mounts. Secondly, how well will the transmission fit in there, and, will there be any issues with the tranny considering it was orginally in an AWD car. Two more minor things would be what would be a good choice for an FMIC and for fuel delivery. Next off, obviously, i wil need a new rear differential, would the differential of a Z32 TT be a good choice?? Would you also have to make a custom driveshaft? Another thing on the project would be brake upgrades, I had in mind possibly front and rear 300zx discs or are they not possible to change over. A couple more shorts questions, suspension wise, what do you all suggest?? Like I said, all this is new to me. Secondly, who makes exterior parts for these cars(Fender flares, front air dams, etc). I don't want anything to flashy. Are there also any powersteering conversions for Z cars, or is it even worth it?? With fender flares, wheel spacers, etc. whats most likely the biggest tire wheel combo i can fit in the back. I don't nessairly mean rim size but more tires size? I know this is a lot of questions but if i could get any input, tha'd be great.

I would research the steps another member took to make the swap happen. Do searches for "stony" and his swap. He's created a somewhat detailed description of what's needed. I'll shed a lil bit of light based on what I've found. Generally a tranny from a GTS is used (RB engine, RWD is in that model Skyline). Mounts can be used from a J-spec 200ZR (Z31 300ZX w/ RB20). The oil pan provides the biggest problem as it's connected to the front diff I believe. Driveshaft would need to be altered and to fit an R230 even more mods are needed. R-200 from my knowledge should handle the power, the halfshafts seem to be the weak point and they can be replaced w/ CV's from a 280ZX Turbo and an adapter from Ross C. Hopefully this is an aid to help you better understand it's not the easiest or most documented swaps. But if you have the patience/moola and drive it could be a very rewarding venture.

AFAIK, Greg Dupree has the only VG30DETT swap into an early Z car. In any case, he has the best. He is an extremely well respected tuner who specializes in Zcars, especially later models. From what I have heard, he himself states that this swap is a huge pain in the ass. Coming from a guy who knows just about everything there is to know about the VG motor and Zcars in general, I think it'd be a good idea to stay away. Personally, I think the VG is a good motor but takes a lot of tuning and $$$ to make power as well as an RB engine. From what I know, the straight six configuration inherently builds a smoother torque curve and can handle a sh*load more power on a stock bottom end because it has more main bearing caps than the Vee configuration.

Guest Anonymous

hmmm, lets see... What advice would you guys give for a good motor swap then. I really wanna do an RB but if its as hard as it sounds, is there no possible way to drop it in with the stock tranny. And if not, what sites will sell the engine a lot, I know the one site, Okinawa Import Motorsports sells the engine but it comes with a tranny.

Guest Anonymous

really??? how much did that run you? will they give you the other information on the swap? whatever advice you can give is good, thanx!