HybridZ

RB26DET have oil injectors!

yo2001

I'm sure something could be built. Maximum Boost and Smokey Yunick's power secrets has some tips on shooting oil at the bottom of the cylinders. I'd like to do this myself on a street performance prepped L28ET block that I have laying in the garage. Just afraid of making commitments.

The books have ideas on the size of the injector holes, but I can't find my books right now.

This combined with ceramic coating would make for an awesome setup. I just wish I had the extra money to get all of my internals coated, and treated.

I thinking the same. ceramic coat pistons with oil injectors. I already have a set of pistons with notches on the skirt for oil injector clearance. I just don't think there are any oil source at the bottom of cylinder bore in a L block :( But if there is a oil source there, I'll be importing me some RB26's oil injectors.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah it was done years before Nissan did it, but its a very effective way of cooling. We often consider oil just a lubricant, but its also very much a cooling system taking away heat from extremely heated pieces. Alot of the Jap bike's use that very scheme as well, the GSXR was one of the first ones I recall doing it on motorcycles, but thats just off bad memory. Anyway, couldn't hoit as they say. :D

Regards,

Lone

Ps: They're ability to handle boost on the RB26 I would suspect is down to its beefy construction more than the oil squirters, but having never seen a RB26 internally thats a guess, any motor though that can handle 600 hp+ on a bottom end has to be pretty beefy.

Very few OEM engines have this feature. Ironically enough, Mazda had it in the "lowly" 323 GTX and when that engine was carried over to the Miata, they retained it even though it no longer had the turbo.

For those building turbo engines, coating the pistons is extra insurance in the fight against detonation.

Lone, excellent point about oil as more than a lubricant. That is why a 911 has a dry sump system with ~13qts and multiple oil coolers.

Guest Anonymous
Very few OEM engines have this feature. Ironically enough, Mazda had it in the "lowly" 323 GTX and when that engine was carried over to the Miata, they retained it even though it no longer had the turbo.
I get what you are saying kinda....that this obscured and not particuarly popular car in fact had some neat fetures.......But I do not get where you get "lowly" from. There is nothing lowly about it and never has been. The automotive press was completely complimentary of the car, and it is still to this day the most succesful car in ameature rally. Although it had a modest HP when stock, it made a nice flat torque curve. Also, they are VERY easy to bring to well over 200HP with bolt ons and to do so safely. It is completely bottlenecked with stock setup, and is a HP machine waiting to be let out. In GRM's $2002 Challenge, a team ran a 13.6 with practicly nothing done to the engine, and that $2002 included the price of the car. It also killed everyone in the street class in autoX.

The only check against the 323GTX is the not-so-great-after-high-miles transmission....other than that, the car is a serious performance machine that allthough rare is still a killer tuner car.

And yes, the Miata got the oil squirters...and is probably one of the most robust small NA engines when fitted with an aftermarket boost aplication.

Guest Anonymous

I thought that I read somewhere sometime ago that the VG30DETT had them also, but my memory is also not the greatest in the world bonk.gifbonk.gif

Mark

yo2001, I think the best source for oil would be on the passenger side where a oil line goes to the front of the block and has an oil plug up there. I think it would be accessable from inside if you drilled into it. Then it would just be a matter of routing some custom pipes making sure to have clearance for rods and such.

If you have a picture of the bottom end, or a cutaway drawing of the RB26DETT I'd love to see.

I can't find anything in the "how to modify your nissan & datsun ohc engine" on oil squirters, but I bet the L28ET in the electromotive race car had them. If anyone has more info on the engines used in the 280ZX Paul Newman raced I'd love to know about it.

Wow, touchy are'nt we :D

Thank you, Lone. If I recall, the 323 was at the bottom of the Mazda line with humble beginnings from the GLC. Anyone remember those? I bet we all tried to forget it.

BTW, if I ever run across a GTX or an Omni GLHS, I am grabbing it. The ones I come across for sale are recognized by the owners as prized classics :D

Not only does the VG30DETT squirt oil to the bottom of the pistons, the rods squirt oil on the lower cylinder wall.

Guest Anonymous
Wow, touchy are'nt we

Thank you, Lone. If I recall, the 323 was at the bottom of the Mazda line with humble beginnings from the GLC. Anyone remember those? I bet we all tried to forget it.

BTW, if I ever run across a GTX or an Omni GLHS, I am grabbing it. The ones I come across for sale are recognized by the owners as prized classics

Not only does the VG30DETT squirt oil to the bottom of the pistons, the rods squirt oil on the lower cylinder wall.

Since we are on the internet, people often mis-read responces....for instance, its possible you imagined me getting huffy and frustrated, I was certainly not. By chiming in with real information, I was mearly explaining why your lableing as "lowly" was not a good term to use to represent the car.

Also, your explaination as to why it is legit to call it "lowly" makes no sence at all. The 323 was an economy car....so? That does not mean that a performance car spinoff is a "lowly" car. How about this, since you have a GN engine in your Z......What if someone called the Buick Grand National a "lowly" auto from the dismal 80s. And their resoning would be, "Well, it is a spinoff of all those crappy Regal type cars, which were in many aspects pieces of junk." That would not make any sense because allthough it shares a lineage with those car, it is still a real high performance machine that accells at those tasks it is intended for. Certainly, I would rather be akin to a reliable well built economy car than some awful late 70s lead sled...but either way, both cars are performance spinoffs that did their job admirably. The Lancer Evo....would you call it a "lowly" car? I mean, that is the same deal, a mundane family hauler lineage, and transformed into one of the worlds faster cars in every way.

The 323 may have been a low price economy car....that in no way meant that the 323GTX was as well. In fact it was not, it was highly sought after, and had higher insurence rates, and was billed(and rightfully so) as a performance car, albiet not a significantly fast one.

Hmmm...I can see your point Mr. Grohse as the 323 GTX was and still is a good performance car but I think Scotty was just referring to the base model FWD 323. I always thought the 323 GTX was a cool car to hop up (feel the same way about the 80's Corolla). Another cool idea would be a Suzuki Swift or Ford Aspire with a 4G63 AWD swap. Heck, even the Mini would be cool!!

Back to the subject. Nissan uses oil squirters in a lot of their engines, off the top of my head I know the VG30DETT, SR20DET and CA18DET have oil squirters expelling oil directly at the center of the bottom of the piston. Mitsubishi also uses it in the 4G63. However, I don't know if these are absolutely necessary, just like oil coolers would be unnecessary unless you plan to run your car for hours upon hours at an AutoX event. I think before you try to tackle something as difficult (and costly) as machining these squirters into an engine, you might want to look at polishing and porting the water galleys because this is often the weak link in Nissan motors.

Originally posted by Tony Fruzza:

yo2001, I think the best source for oil would be on the passenger side where a oil line goes to the front of the block and has an oil plug up there. I think it would be accessable from inside if you drilled into it. Then it would just be a matter of routing some custom pipes making sure to have clearance for rods and such.

If you have a picture of the bottom end, or a cutaway drawing of the RB26DETT I'd love to see.

I can't find anything in the "how to modify your nissan & datsun ohc engine" on oil squirters, but I bet the L28ET in the electromotive race car had them. If anyone has more info on the engines used in the 280ZX Paul Newman raced I'd love to know about it.

I don't think I can clear ant oil line with my motor that I'm building. I'll running fat FJ20DET rods or something similar. I was thinking I can just tap it striaght to the block where the oil flows under pressure. Who know. I might call Sunbelt and see what they can do.

... yes VG30DETT's and the non-turbo Z32's (VG30DE) have oil squirters. The pistons on the TT's have a small hole drilled near the edge of the piston. The oil squirters on the TT direct oil flow right up into the hole, and then onto the bottom of the piston. The Non-turbo Z32 VG30DE's have oil squirters, but no provisions for that oil hole in the piston. They just squirt onto the bottom of the piston. This is what some people switch to when the build their TTVG's, since the aftermarket forged pistons usually don't have the oil hole drilled. I don't see what advantage you really have with them anyway.

Guest Anonymous

I believe Scottie was refering to the car's position in the Mazda family line, that being a cost leader car, not to imply it wasn't good. At least between the lines and what I know of Scotties post usually I believe thats what he was talking about.

Regards,

Lone

Originally posted by heinekenns:

...This is what some people switch to when the build their TTVG's, since the aftermarket forged pistons usually don't have the oil hole drilled. I don't see what advantage you really have with them anyway.

Heat reduction off the pistons. That's good for high boost car. No detonation. I guessing it's worth alot since they used you use them in turbo F1 cars.