HybridZ

turbo 240z article

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine has a nice little article on a "Gumby" green Turbo 240z in its August issue, which I just received in the mail (in June!). It's supposed to hit the newstands soon. ;)

The owner claims some serious horsepower and performance. Unfortunately, the article is not available on line..... :confused:

Sort of an odd choice of induction since the L28 turbo was from an '83 ZXT, he's running a draw-through Holley carb with water injection instead of EFI and an intercooler. My hat's off to the guy for putting it together but I'll bet there are a lot of L6 turbos among members here that make more power with better driveability. Maybe GRM could sample from this group sometime. DAW

• 4 weeks later...
Guest fly yellow

this guy used to work at engineered performance in marietta, ga and moved to balanced performance because he was an expierienced dyno guy and back when he worked at enginered friend was having some work done on his celica all trac and i went with him one day over there and begged a ride in the car and man that thing was insane crappy seat with only lap belt on passenger side but the thing hauled ass and handled well he tried to sell me the motor for 2k but at the time i didnt have the money but it was a decent setup i would rather have an efi turbo or one of twin turbo triple weber setups but that is an insane car i think i have a copy of his track videos somewhere they are insane blowing away ferrais and such in the corners and on the straights i will be amazed to see his new motor

Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ:

Unless he has a cam that moves the peak power way up, those numbers do not compute. I would expect to see a lot more torque than that. Now, if it was 320 at the flywhel, that would make more sense.

I thought I remembered them claiming 390 rwhp - don't remember the torque...

And I agree about those numbers - that would put the horsepower peak a fair amount above 5200rpm. I wouldn't think that would be terribly easy to do with that setup.

By my estimation, the 320rwhp would have to peak at 6000rpms to only have 280lb/ft of torque. If you assume that is fwhp and use an optimistic 85% drivetrain loss, that would put the rwhp at 272 and peak power at 5100 would generate 280lb/ft of torque. Hmmm, coincidence? :D

Only way to really tell is with a posted timeslip and weight w/driver. That never lies or have you wondering.

Guest Anonymous

Anyone know where he got that Z32-TT front brake caliper bracket from? Or how to contact the guy to pick his brain for a sec?

I have access to a machine shop and have a friend with a set of TT calipers that I can get for cheap. I'd like to do the swap since it seems entirely possible and he's using the exact same rim as I am so I know it would fit.