HybridZ

1jZGTE swap

Use the search, it's your friend! We have at least one possibly two 7M swaps here and they've posted details here ontheir plans. I'm interested in the 1JZ swap (I drive a 2JZGTE) but since I've already swapped a SBC in my Z th echances of my doing it are slim. However I've posted links to articles on the subject and will be posting even more extensive scans of articles about it if you can wait about a week. We tend to discuss things in the forums rather than going offline that way we can always search back to it when the questions come back up in a week or two from others asking.

Just wondering, does anyone besides me have a 7m in their engine compartment? If so please send pics. I'm not sure if I'm happy with my tranny mount.

If you have a little more money go with the 2jz. The jz engines rev higher because of their better head flow, they also don't pop their head gaskets as easily. I think the jz engines have oil squirters at the bottom of the pistons as well. I picked the 7m because I'm familiar with it and it was priced right.

Yes, oil squirters on the 2JZGTE but not the GE engine. Cranks are common between them I'm told as is the block. For greater revs go for the 1JZGTE which is a 2.5liter JDM motor with twin turbos that work together not sequentially. Unfortunatly most of those are from Automatic cars but the Supra 6speed fits it and possibly the N/A 5speed.

Would love to see additional 7M pics. Why don't you like your trans mount? Got any pics? Does it line up okay? More pics! ;)

It's sad, I haven't even touched the car in about 3 months. I just got a job, though, so shortly after I pay bill collectors frown.gif I'll jump right back in where I left off. As I've said before I still need an exhaust system, drive line modded, and intercooler piping. I would almost like to make my own intake manifold before I do intercooler piping because I want to have a smoother route and a larger throttle body. I've got the CV adapters, and will probably start putting those on this week, but I still have an open diff, so I guess I'll have to put a LSD on the list of parts to get.

I've put a new set of yokohama avs's on the car right before I parked it, the tokico struts and springs are practicly new, put in new bushings, and MSA sway bars. The car should handle great, I've only put the toyota 4x4 front calipers on for brake upgrades, but I really hope to do more soon.

I figure it'll cost me around this much to get it on the road, along with buying a new welder so that I can make the intake manifold myself.

~$500 for welder, maybe I can find a good one used though

~$100 for welding and balancing the drive line

~$400 for LSD + new rubber mount

~$150 for aluminum intercooler piping + T clamps

~$250 for a 3" ehxaust system + muffler + tip

Think that's about right? My local muffler shops don't do mandrel exhaust systems, I guess I should drive the car to somewhere that can, any recomendations for southern california?

If I wanted someone else to do the intake manifold, it'll be just a log type, how much do you think it'd cost me? I'd just mount up one of those cheap, if you can find them, Mercedes 450SL 60mm throttle body. I would need a blow off valve too, so I'll look around on thepartstrader and ebay.

My tranny sticks out a little more on the passenger side than it does the drivers side, and I think it could rock enough to hit the tunnel. I think it'd be an easy fix if I just took the engine out and banged a bit on the tunnel, I'm lazy, so I'll probably see if it hits first before doing.

I'll get more pictures when I start work on things again. Oh, I forgot I scavanged the car's electric fans for my orange car, so there's something else I have to pick up. I bet I'll have to put another $1500 in before I have it on the road.

Guest Anonymous

Bob's Muffler in Bako has a mandrel bender now. Might try checking with them. Or, if you're going to get a welder anyhow, buy a few 3" u-bends and just cut-and-paste your own setup.

Guest Simon

Hi there All

I am in Australia, and have a 260z, I would like to know if the 1JZGTE motor will fit into it.

I have heard that because it is right hand drive the turbos don’t fit around the steering collum

Any information would be great.

Simon