HybridZ

VG30DET on LPG Swap into a 260z

Guest Simon

New Idea

I mave been told that a good swap for a 260z is

VG30DET converted to LPG GAS and a well tuned carby 5 speed box, running about 15 PSI, LSD and the like...

any info would be good

is the vg30 a good engine....i thinki have heard bad things about it

Someone else please chime in if I am wrong, but at only 15PSI, I don't think you will have to go to the expense of converting to LPG. All the engine should need is a good intercooler, and maybe some bigger injectors. There was a member here making gobs of power in a 300zx with lots of boost and SDS management.

vg30det is a single turbo dohc vg based motor

vg30dett is a twin turbo dohc vg based motor

the vg series blocks are usually refered to as one of the most bullet proof blocks ever produced by nissan. however i may be wrong. vg30's (non-turbo) can be found in everything from pathfinders to maximas ... i personally would love to see the brand new vq35 in a Z maybe if i can come up with the scratch someday thats what ill run. hope i helped a lil if im wrong let me know - pete

Both motors are about the same price, what is better and why. two smaller turbos or one larger one....

what are the pros and cons of each?

and Does any one know wheter the gas is a good idea. I will be running GasReasearch Carbys - there ment to be good.... blow thru!

Cheers for the info

well i have a 1993 300zx. it dont have the VG30DETT but its a VG motor and boy is it strong as hell.

i can tell you this. its a wide motor and i know it will fit fine but its gonna take up alotta space.

also these motors are hard to work on if you really dont no what your doing.

the weak spot in the DETT are there injectors, they suck bad. replace them with Nismo 555cc's or some big old 720cc's and boost away with a nice set of turbos.

things for the DETT are alot of money some times too.

good luck

mike

Guest VertexZ

The VG30 isnt the easiest motor to put in, but its been done.

DO I read right - you are planning to run it on straight gas, and a draw through carbie setup? ie buggering off all the EFI and getting a custom carbie manifold made?

I would have thought it would be alot easier to just go for a petrol VG30DET and keep it on EFI (stock).

I think the RB motors are a fair bit easier to install though.

How much have you been quoted for a VG30DET/TT?

I have been quoted $3K installand everything...ie drive in - drive out gas and all.....

The engine is heaps cheaper with out the ECU and **** .... and LPG preforms beter if tuned right

also it will be Blow through useing a GASREASERCH carby http://www.gasresearch.com.au/

seen them on a 7m-gte or whatever... ent very well!!!!!

Hi Simon and all,

Simon>> "LPG preforms better if tuned right"

What are you comparing this too??? Better than when it wasn’t tuned right??? LPG has its place and that is in the boot of taxi cars.

The VG30DETT are a dog of an engine, especially in the Z32 engine bay (overheating etc.)!!! They are known to be the WORST of the Nissan range of engines by those in the high performance business.

If you are going to go all out with them, ie cams, large turbos etc. It is VERY expensive to modify an VG30DETT compared to say an RB26DETT (double the cams to buy etc)

Unless people have concrete evidence that certain set ups are "better" that another, please keep the hearsay to a minimum (ie cut the bulls*it!!!)

From what i know about the VG30 motor, it overheats in the 300zx engine bay, easy to fix in a conversion, and the valves are a little dicky which will be fixed by the LPG conversion... Its a bitch to work on in the 300zx engine bay too...

Im going to get the VG30DE (Non turbo)and add two T03 turbos which should have good flow and spoolup times and a gas conversion to LPG

gas research is the better way to go in melbourne also, you don't have to worry about emmissions when you run staright LPG,

LPG and gasoline on the same vehicle is very bad for performance, but straight LPG is alot better, than petrol... this has been shown buy research from a family member, actaul ford289 going from straight petrol to straight gas,

Morning every one,

I am going to make my own manifolds for the VG30DE to make it a VG30DETT

I have seen the log style used before and some good reports of it.

anyone know any information on the designwould be good....

Just a very quick pic

1 Log style

2 Equal length pipes

m.jpg