HybridZ

GNX 240sx

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I realize this a z board, but you guys seem to be the most knowledgeable about these sorts of things. I am seriously considering putting the GNX into my 90 fastback but I wanted some input on it, and maybe the sorts of things I should check out to make sure it'd fit ... just any constructive comments really, and if any experienced soul in Va could personally help me I'd be indebted for life :D

The 240SX has bulky shock towers that greatly reduce the width of the engine compartment. The Buick V-6 is about the same width as a SBC, but you need a little extra clearance by the pass side shock tower because the elbow off the turbine housing faces the tower then makes a right turn towards the back. You need a little room for that turn and for the DP which will run parallel with the valve cover then sweep down by the back of the valve cover. See the pic.

Other things to watch for is the steering rod, clearance for the exhaust crossover pipe that goes from the back of the DS header to the back of the pass side header and runs between the oil pan and the tranny flex plate/converter. need to check oil pan and crank pulley clearance. This engine uses a bulky pulley and could interfere with the crossmember and steering rack. I am assuming the tranny tunnel is wide enough. Other than that :D the rest is a typical swap with no kit. Fabricate everything from scratch.

This pic makes my DP look closer than it really is but it best illustrates my points.

thdp-tta2.jpg

Guest Anonymous

very nice engine, what kind of turbine are you running on it? Ive only seen a few of those engines, but they were in the turbo trans am form, another rare, powerful turbo domestic. all the turbo T/As Ive seen though were fairly stock. With that GNX engine is there a possibility of making manifolds that would have the crossover in the rear of the engine so the turbo can be towards the rear (a la Z31 turbo)? or is the engine very close to the firewall. I forgot that the turbo sits on the front with those engines, fairly unique configuration.

Guest eric-z

v8dats,

In the GNX both sides feed the turbo. there is a crossover pipe that runs under the engine from the side without the turbo. (guys correct me if I am wrong)

eric

The only turbo V engine that I've ever heard of with only one bank feeding the turbine is the Saab (2001 model ?).

All other turbo engines have all the exhaust piped to one or more turbos.

IOWs, if it's a V engine with one turbo, there's a cross over pipe somewhere.

Yup, the drivers side feeds into a crossover pipe, then both sides feed the turbo.

Like BLKMGK said, the GN's, Turbo TA's and GNX's are pretty much the same engine, but the Turbo TA is just slightly different. Also, the GNX is a car in itself! Just look it up on a search engine and you will be supprised at who engineered the suspension.

!M!

Yea, what they said.

TTA had different (better) heads, better I/C, taller gearing (3.27 vs 3.42) and better aerodynamics. GNX has better turbo, ran more boost and had trick, I mean really trick suspension. Once you start modding the engine, there is little difference but the advantage goes to the TTA with a aero and tall gear. The best bang is lowly Turbo Regal. Same drivetrain as a GN but lighter with a non-descript look.

Scottie,

Didn't the TTA come with crappy 3.0 heads compared to our GN 3.8 heads that flow a lot better? I guess there was clearence issues withthe bigger heads. Then again, I could be wrong. From what I remember, the TTA had different rocker arm setup as well.

!M!

• 2 weeks later...

It is difficult to describe the GN headers w/o a pic and I found the one I was looking for. The bottom header is the driver's side with the front of the engine on the left side of the pic. The crossover pipe connects to the collector and routes behind the engine to the passenger side. The top header is the pass side with the front of the engine on the right side of the pic. The crossover pipe is connected to the back of the pass side header and then everything flows forward to the turbo.

HTHs

gn-headers.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest timhypo

MAT73GNZ,

You're thinking of the early 80s (like 1980) Turbo Trans Am which was slow as snot, from what I understand. The TTA they speak of was made in the late 80's (around 1987) and had a slightly reworked Grand National motor in it. I test drove one when I was 17, but didn't realize it was special at the time. I figured it would accelerate like the 350 GTAs I was test driving at the time. Boy, was I wrong. Still one of the fastest cars I've ever ridden in.

Guest timhypo

Sorry, I meant to address that to z31fury. I gues it was an '89 that IO test drove, it was effortlessly fast - like a 737 accelerating down the runway...