HybridZ

rb transmission mount ?

BRAD D

A little back ground for you guys who do not know my project. I have a 73 240Z and I’m in the middle of installing a RB26DETT with a GTS-T 5 speed.

Here is where I am at. The transmission was touching the old mounting brackets in the tunnel, so I drilled out the spot welds and removed the old mounts, now I moved the motor so far back that the passenger side valve cover vent is now touching the hood catch on the fire wall. I will just dent in the hood catch bracket in order to clear the vent.

Now with the motor in place I removed the front turbo and bolted my laser cut flanges to the block and stock 204Z rubber motor mounts. Then I bent up a coat hanger to get the angles and distance between the two plates, and then transferred that to 1.5x1.5 x .25 thick angle iron. And then tack welded the plates to the angle iron then removed them.

Now I will take the mounts to my friend and get them TIG welded, sand blasted and painted with POR-15. Then reinstall them and start on the trans mission mount. But how to make that now?? I like the look of these ones that attach to the tunnel what do you guys think? The JTR one just bolts through the floor I don’t know if I like that too much? Scotty GNZ uses that type of mount. So i'm sure it holds up fine.

Give me your input.

Thanks.

I can not figure out how to post pic’s but I can send some to you guys if you want, just let me know.

First - I'd dump the stock hood mount. Just drill out the spot welds and run hood pins. They can go right through where the hood bumpers are now - easy install :D

Through the floor mounts are fine IMO. They spread the load over a decent sized area and the JTR mount is THICK. I had to have mine sectioned and they actually stalled the chop saw cutting through it :eek: That style works darned good...

ON3GO I SENT YOU AN E-MAIL BUT IT BOUNCED BACK?

So I'm putting a hole wack load of pic's on yahoo photo but you must use my name and code to sign in.

name: RB26DATSUN

code: RB26DETT

dont mind all the party shots, there is some rb shots in with them as well flamedevil.gif

THANKS

THE WHEELS ARE 17 X 7 MOTEGI MR7'S AND I AM TAKING THE MOTOR OUT ONE MORE TIME AFTER ALL THE FITTING WORK IS DONE. THEN I WILL TAKE MORE PICS.

IF ANY ONE WANT'S THE AUTOCAD DRAWINGS FOR THE LASER CUT FLANGES I USED TO MAKE THE MOUNTS I CAN E-MAIL THEM TO YOU

BLKMGK:

I THINK I WILL GO WITH THAT TYPE OF TRANSMISSION MOUNT.

flamedevil.gif