HybridZ

Here comes the 1JZ....

kalium99

Well, I went out to see the engine the other day and I decided to buy it. I am going to pick it up on friday. Its the 1JZ engine, with wiring harness, and the other usual stuff. Except no gearbox, and no ECU, which is no problem as I am planning on getting aftermarket ECU....

I would have gotten a half-cut, but all the half cuts are Auto's and I picked up this engine REAL cheap.

My 260Z wont know what hit it :D

Guest Anonymous

Kalium. I'm thinking about doing the same swap but I'm not really sure what all is needed to change on the car. I'm imagining that this requires custom engine and tranny mounts? If you have any info on the swap. It'd help me out a lot

Guest Anonymous

I'm considering basically the same swap. In my case, I'm considering the 2JZ-GE VVTi from the latest iteration of the xx300 Lexus. This is only because I want it to be normally asperated, and the VVTi (variable valve timing) is a great improvement over the Supra NA through 1998.

With any of the 1JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GE, or 2JZ-GE VVTi, the process is basically the same:

1. physically mount the engine:

As an example, here's a link to someone's install in a MkII Supra:

http://www.norbie.net/Project2JZ/

2. choose and install a transmission:

For a 5 speed, use either a W58 (cheaper and weaker) or an R154 (bulletproof and more costly). Shifter parts can be chosen from different applications to get the right position. Crossmember should be trivial.

3. Build a driveline:

I'm planning on using JTR's differential (yoke?) and Chevy rear U-joints on a modified Toyota driveshaft.

4. Install engine management. I intend to use the donor (Lexus/Toyota) complete wiring harness and adapt or replace guages. This is the biggest and most complex part of the job. I wouldn't dare attempt to wire it up custom. A great site explaining the wiring situation (in this case, into a MkIII Supra) is:

http://www.supras.nl/

5. Exhaust, turbo plumbing, misc. Compared to number 4 above, these are trivial IMHO.

Hope this helps,

Matthew

73 240Z torn apart edition, planning transplant.

Couple of things - consider the AEM ECU for the 1JZ. It's not PnP for that but I think it would be the same amount of wiring with the added benefit of being able to program it to do anything you want smile.gif

Also, before putting that 1JZ in the engine bay be sure ot look around and replace the elbows from the turbos to the exhaust. Apparently stock it's pretty restrictive and some guys have picked up good power streamlining it. Only issues I have with the 1JZ is the scarcity of turbo setups for it :( It won't accept the 2JZGTE stuff.

Working to put together info on this swap. I've got SOME info on my site now and HAD my hands on a TON of info but my darned puppy ATE the CD weird.gif Working on getting another copy but it has to come from overseas so... it's taking awhile. frown.gif

OK, well the engine is sitting in my garage now.

How much does the AEM ECU cost? I am not looking at spending mega bucks on top of the range ECU, just want something that is half decent and will do the job. The Wolf 3D seems to fit into that category so far.

I went to look at a W58 from a 1GGTE on the weekend. They wanted 600AUD for it, but I was speaking to the guy I got the engine off, and he reckons he could get me a box that has a JZ bellhousing for that price....

I just had a look in the piping from the compressor outlet of the front turbo...and there is oil in it :( Maybe this means I will be going single sooner than what I thought.....

The AEM for the 2JZ is like $1300. Goto aempower.com/BBS and ask around the Toyota section about the 1JZ. As for "going single" be aware that the 2JZ single kits will NOT fir the 1JZ. The exhaust flange is DIFFERENT. There's supposedly a single kit out there but it's JDM. :( Ya' might want to run the motor first, my turbos run fine but still leak a little bit of oil (shrug). Check with the MKIII Supra guys on I-Supra.com and Supraforums.com for info on this motor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

hey all. ive owned a 1977 260Z 2+2 for a few years now. the cops put me off the road 12 months ago (apparently they arnt real big fans of drift?!). im selling the running gear to a guy i know and its getting 1JZ-GTE power. wanting a 6 speed trans, possibly (cost wise) a 5 speed. need info on tail shaft mods! R200 diff in the rear out of R32 skyline. Diffs not a problem. The article in ZOOM magazine (australia) convinced me to do it. i need HEAPS of info on engine mounting too please!! apparently gear box fits up is all good? (dimention-wise). im getting a little panel work done this weekend and then im ready to purchase the 1J. PLEASE i need all the help i can get. For everybody that helps me, ill mention you personally in all the mags my Z gets in! it will be under the headlines "DRIFT WORIOR" or something of the like!!)

Guest Zachb55

i plan on goin the 2JZ route, i just cant wait for all this info to come together, hopefully someday (like when i do my swap) it will be as simple as the RB swap, well i cant wait to hear how it goes for you guys... i couldnt help but notice while looking at a 2jz-gte w/6 speed that the shifter was way towards the end of the gearbox... would something have to be made (a system of levers and such) to make a shifter line up with the Z's original shifter hole?? well i guess it just seemed too far back, maybe itll not be a problem...

-Zach

Well I was gonna be out there possible fiting up the engine this week but I got Chicken Pox :(

One thing I must say....If you can get a Manual halfcut for $3000 or so do it, as you wont be able to do it any cheaper. Im upto about $1500 for Engine with all wiring and ECU etc (have a spare wiring loom left over as well). R154 is going to cost upto around $1500.

The guys in Zoom did the job pretty arse backwards...well in the sensee that they used an Auto bellhousing, then an adaptor to fit a W58 box up. Thats where most of there problems came about.

RB25 might be an easier swap, but it aint the engine a 1JZ is ;)

EDIT: re the shifter posistion, the R154 and 6spd sit waayy at the back. with the W58 hooked upto the adaptor plate on the Ben's car, and the engine sitting waay back, they only just got the shifter up thorugh the hole, so depending on how far back the R154/6spd shifter is, it may work out just right

Guest Anonymous

The 1jz turbine kit does exist and its JDM, On rare occassions they can be found used. If anybody is serious about gettin one let me know and I'll come up with one.....

I'm another one planning on the 2JZ swap - So far, the rest of the car is being prepared for the mighty engine, which will be swapped in this time next year. So, its chassis, brakes, suspension, fuel and driveline in the meantime. The only other turbo engine greater than the 2JZ on dollar:performance measure is the 1JZ - but I like torque more than revs, and its not *that* much more for the 2JZ in australia smile.gif

With the single turbo 1JZ swap, it's not unfeasible to source a second hand - possibly needing reco - 2JZ head, given the popularity of mkiv supras over there. They bolt straight up - using the same sensors swapped across - and it gives you the exhaust flange for all 2JZ turbokits. Having said that, it'll probably be easier on the wallet and the stress meter to fab an exhaust manifold for a 1JZ flange pattern than pay the uberbucks for a jap 2JZ kit, which may not fit anyway given the width of some of their single turbo conversions.

Anyhow, I intend to document the entire process of a 2JZ swap, so that others can learn. Really, its not that hard - give the engine fuel, give the computer power, cut n shut the driveshaft, give it radiator, intercooler and oil cooler piping and ... hell, look at that! it runs smile.gif

Do please keep us posted on the 2J swap. I'd like to do it but am in too deep with a SBC in my car and tearing it apart now would be crazy. One of these days...

As for width of the single turbo, give me a month and I'll let you know. There are also SEVERAL new single kits out at "bargain" prices here in the States but it's still not cheap. Less than a T-78 though smile.gif A cast manifold could be used and there will be a new cast manifold coming out in the future too. Lots of new 2JZ options coming out!

Can I be of any service? 1jzgte swapped into an mk3 supra. Ive helped with the few in the states, plus my buddies sell the best state side clips. There is more than one kit for the 1jz, and even more pieces sold seperatly. If I were swapping into a 240z, your gonna have to make custom tranny mounts anyway, so use the 6speed from a 4th gen supra, the bellhousing is identical to the r154 that mates to the 1jz, the added bonus aside from better gearing is clutch selection, at that point buy a 2jz lightened flywheel and have someone state side(http://www.suprastore.com) ship you the Arizona clutch, perfect for daily driving, slippable(which a street driven modded 240z needs) and can handle all sorts of power. e-mail me if you wanna know anything else.

Majik16106@yahoo.com

PAul Miller

The VVTI could most likely be handled by the AEM if it was used, it handles VTEC no problem. However the twin turbo clips are cheaper. Honestly THE biggest issue with the 1JZ that I see is the turbos. The MKIII guys have learned that the ceramic turbos can't take but about 15PSI. Considering the motor, if it's built anything like the 2JZ, can take about double that this is a big bummer. The Y pipe at the turbos is also VERY restrictive and sources for better ones aren't plentiful. Custom work would be required and max boost would still be limited :(

This makes 2JZ JDM motor attractive IMO. I know that width could be an issue though with the stock turbos - I'll measure if anyone wants me to. Those turbos on the JDM 2JZ motor are also ceramic and limited, the cams are smaller than domestic market cams, and the injectors are only 440CC. That said, upgrading all of that to domestic market stuff or aftermarket pieces is pretty easy if not terribly cheap($cough$). Injectors and cams would be the easy part since Supra owners upgrade past these pretty quickly although in the Z you could end up needing bigger injectors pretty quickly if you go single turbo - I'm running 75lb ones in my car, others go bigger.

One interesting thing - there's currently a bit of a price war starting in the 2JZ single turbo world. For less than $4K you can now have a turbo capable of well over 500RWHP on pump and as much as 700+ on race gas. Imagine 30+PSI of boost. The torque would be ungodly as at just about 400RWHP my Supra is making more than 427ftlbs. Redline would be 7200RPM stock but can be safely bumped several hundred RPM.

Oh, and I think we would have to skip the 6spd. It's rudely expensive, no one services them, and spare parts have only just now been released. The length of that trans is bad too. The 5spd isn't as robust but it's supposed to be shorter. I can try to measure the distance from nose of my motor to shifter if that would help anyone.

My biggest concern with the 2JZ is the sump position. I'm not sure that there are multiple oil pan sumps with the 2JZ like there is for the 1JZ but this should certainly be investigated before a swap. The 1JZ article on my site MIGHT be of some help here.

Needless to say a 2JZ swap is of great interest to me and I'd love to do it myself :D