HybridZ

buick

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I know you're the guru of these engines Scottie, but with all due respect (seriously), I'd pick a carbed turbo Buick V6 and 200-R4 over a 350 Chevy and 700-4R simply due to the weight difference offering better handling. (I'd also do it just to be different, but that's me.) I'd swap the Quadrajet for a Holley spreadbore 4bbl though.

I simply answered the question "does it have as much potential as the later ones". Given the choice of a Buick V-6 carbed-turbo and an L28ET, I would go with the L28ET and avoid the swap hassles. You can only squeeze so much out that engine and if there is not much gain, why bother, even if it only cost $200? You end up getting nickel & dimed to death when you get done. Trust me on that.

Would it be that much more expensive to convert the carbed turbo to programmable efi with ignition control than upgrading the 86-87 system. I can see that you have changed the throttlebody, injectors, chip fuelpump, fuelpressure regulator, intercooler and turbo + elbow on your car.

Lets see. You would need the following: intake, TB/TPS, upper plenum, fuel rail, FPR, injs, coilpack/ign module, various brackets for the above, MAF, (possibly) cam sensor & crank sensor, EFI harness, ECM, L & R side headers, crossover pipe, turbo, turbo support bracket. Not certain, but I think the 86-87 cam might also be different.

This is a little like trying to turbo an NA L6 except with more components and very few donor cars.

Guest bang847

wow.. a turbo buick for 200 bucks?

if that is the case you can buy this car just to drive around while youre busy swapping out the L6... beside it this car give up it is still cheaper than 4 months of bus passes (in Los Angeles)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...