HybridZ

found intercooler that fits

randy 77zt

was out at pick&pull today.found a 86 saab 9000 turbo.it had a intercooler and some nice tubing and a blow-off valve so i decided to take a chance and buy it and bring it home .when i got home i set it on top of radiator to see if hose spigots on the end tanks would match up to the big holes on either side of the radiator core support.i got lucky-they look close to centered.hose spigots are 2.5 in od.core measures 14x22 inches.should be alot better than starion ic but probably not as good as a custom unit.know i need sds system so i can get nissan afm out of way.i am going to run this with factory a/c.

Guest Anonymous

SWEET!! i found 2 of those at a local scrap yard and was wondering if they would fit. did you turn it upside down so the intake/exhaust ports of the intercooler were on the top? how well is the fit? i talked to a guy that is running one of these intercoolers on his Dodge Omni and he said that they flow well, but the plastic end tanks are its weakest point when running big boost.

actually i sat it on top of the core support right side up and on checked it out-hose ends on bottem.when i mount it in car it will be running upside down.i have not mounted it yet .it wont be for awhile until i get aftermarkit efi system.unit has plastic tanks but it should be ok for 16psi cause plastic tank radiators are rated for that.cant put it in now cause afm runs through hole on left side of core support.

Guest Anonymous

way too tiny? the 900S models have the small intercooler. the 9000S turbo model has an intercooler that is about 20" by 16" by about 2". thats not too small is it? it looked like it was pretty huge to me.

Guest Anonymous

I was unaware they were so large. The thing is that they are low performance cores and will be far from ideal.

On any turbo car, the absolute best money you can spend is on a good intercooler and as nice a turbo as possible.

There's a reason they make them so large - to make up for the less than stellar performance of the core. It's better than nothing..... But getting shot in the leg is better than getting shot in the face too!

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

some of us have more money than others and some of us have to scrounge and roll on the ground at pick&pull.and do or own research & development.i think if i find a compressor section off of a buick grand national used and get a sds system i will take my chances and see how it runs.but i am going to put intake air temp sensors before and after intercooler to check if it is working well.intercooler looks way larger than starion unit.

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited December 20, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, an intercooler has to be pretty bad before it gets worse than no intercooler at all, but there are intercoolers that bad out there!

For cheap OE intercoolers, go with a mk4 supra unit, they're cheap, readily available, and extremely efficient. Get on the supra mailing list and ask if anyone has one for sale and you'll get 5-10 people willing to sell you one. They can be had as low as $75, but expect $100 and change. One was on ebay a few weeks ago, sold for $90 something. They do well over 400 horsepower in supras, fit nicely in the front of a Z, and are very compact. I have one for my Z smile.gif

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited December 20, 2000).]

Speaking of temps and intercooler effeciency... I was on th ehunt for a gauge to measure this sort of thing. I found a very expensive gauge made by an aircraft firm that refused to sell direct. I also spoke to a guy at work who may be willing to make me a gauge. Lastly, I found a gauge company that's interested in building such a thing and has said they will send me one for FREE to evaluate - analog though.

I'm still waiting for that gauge to show up but they've sent me the "bill" so I know what it migh tcaost (ballpark). Is anyone interested in such a gauge? You'd be able to see delta temps and with somem switch trickery be able to see intake and exhaust sides of the intercooler. With another sensor you could even do air inlet to the turbosupercharger. If this is interesting or if someone has seen a better option lemme' know - I want something for the RX7 smile.gif I think I may talk to the guy at work some more about a digital version - he seemed to think it wouldn't be hard to build...

Strange, tried typing it in and it refused to go but... http://www.mcmaster.com/ works from Google. I've been to this site - perhaps our 10mm to 12mm bolts might be found here too smile.gif Am about to watercool my computer again so I might want a couple of gauges to tinker with. Vroom! So far I don't see a gauge meetng my needs but I'm still looking - LOT'S of stuff!

Hrm, here's one - handheld Fluke for $194. Ouch! Page 438 for that - that price is sans thermocouples too BTW. I've posted a plea in their forums smile.gif

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited December 25, 2000).]