HybridZ

1 or 2 intercoolers?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this decision. I plan on turbocharging my Z. I would like to use the stock non-turbocharged long block with 8.5:1 compression. I have come across two Starion

intercoolers and considering to run both in parallel or fuse them together to form a huge two-core intercooler. My question is, is there any benefit to running two or could I just get by with one? Just in case you're wondering, I'm going to run a T4/T3 hybrid with external wastegate and 259cc injectors off a turbocharged Z. Fuel enrichment is by a rising-rate fuel pressure regulator. ECU is stock, no knock sensor, and yes.....The stock air-flow meter.

------------------

Calen

93 240sx

81 280zx

Just a few comments on your setup.

First: 8.5:1 is pretty high for the L series head design. It can be done, so don't worry too much! But you may be limiting your final HP a bit on pump gas.

Second: 259cc injectors sound pretty small to me with a T3/T4. I'd look into that before you take the plunge.

Third: I know nothing about the starion intercoolers, but it should be entirely possible to run them together. The question is what is the pressure drop across them? Running in parallel... sounds like your in for some really tricky plumbing!

------------------

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

Drax's 72 240Z Turbo

Guest Anonymous

Like I said before, having too much intercooler flow area can be bad - too much can slow the airflow inside the IC enough that the fins aren't adequately mixing the air, leading to large drops in efficiency.

Run them in series, cooling effect will be more, and if they have too much pressure drop you can just crank up the boost to compensate for it........ If your turbo is maxed out then you're patching over the problem and you need a larger turbo.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

quote:

Originally posted by Morgan:

Like I said before, having too much intercooler flow area can be bad - too much can slow the airflow inside the IC enough that the fins aren't adequately mixing the air, leading to large drops in efficiency.

While this may be true, I seriously doubt that two _Starion_ intercoolers in parallel will result in too much flow area. From everything that I have heard about them being too restrictive, I would argue that placing them in parallel would result in getting the core flow velocity back down into the realm that the cores were designed for, assuming that Calen's target is around 300hp.

...Of course, I agree that he would need to dump the stock flow meter, and put a bit more thought into the fuel delivery system before he could get to 300hp...

Guest Anonymous

how about factory TT 300ZX intercoolers running in series? i already have a pair of those and i have thought about running them in series, but i don't know how good they are. i have thought about adding electric fans to the front of the intercoolers if their efficientcy is not good enough, if i even run them. and how about using the recirc valves as blow off valves. anyone ever try that before?

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by David 280Z:

how about factory TT 300ZX intercoolers running in series? i already have a pair of those and i have thought about running them in series, but i don't know how good they are. i have thought about adding electric fans to the front of the intercoolers if their efficientcy is not good enough, if i even run them. and how about using the recirc valves as blow off valves. anyone ever try that before?

Running intercoolers in series will result in pressure drop, I know that. I took the 2 Starion intercoolers, used some hose & pipe to mock them up in series, then put a hair dryer thru it. It cooled the air down pretty good, but there was a noticeable pressure drop, feeling it by hand. Not very scientific, but I don't have any equipment to test pressure loss. I will test the same theory in parallel, b/c when I go to mount them, I will need to modify the piping on the tanks, (can't set them up in parallel w/ the stock inlet & outlet pipes) & then I can mock it up in parallel first, before I put it on the car. If it isn't to my liking, I have a spare intercooler in case a low flying bird takes it out.

Calen