HybridZ

Quad turbo: turbo choice?

Guest Will

Ever since I saw specs for the Bugatti EB110 (quad turbo 3.5 litre V12), I have been toying with the idea of building a quad-turbo Northstar V8 for a project (not a Z, sorry).

I'm familiar with the basics of turbo charging, but would like some suggestions as to what turbos and accessories would be good for this application.

I'd like to see about 600 HP (double stock output), which would be 15 lbs/min for each turbo. One thing I don't know is how much boost I'd need for this. I can have the heads ported, and turbo specific cams are available.

that would work out to 1150cc/per turbo-it would need small turbos.were hte turbos on the buggatti staged -a small turbo & big turbo on each bank?you will have to replace pistons in caddy engine to lower compression .it would probably be better with 2 turbos.the turbo supplier will build them custom for your application.

Will,

unless you are building a show car, thats an awful lot of complexity to get 600hp from a Northstar. You need to seriously consider the plumbing, underhood temps and how to control the boost equally on the turbos.

I use the Buick 3.8L as a comparison and with the heads massaged, 600hp is fairly common with a single turbo. I am certain the Northstar's larger displacement and superior head design could match the Buick's power output. TT sounds a little easier and the Cadillac LMP is getting 600hp from its TT setup in a 4.0L tuned for endurance. I would dig up any technical details and pics on that setup and use it as a basis for yours.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

From the picture I saw of the engine, the Bugatti turbos were not sequential. The engine is a 3.5 litre magnesium block (!) V12 which produces ~450 ftlbs @ 3500 (!) rpm and ~550 hp @ 8000 (!) rpm. It redlines at 8200. Talk about a wide powerband!

Another thing that attracted me to the quad turbo idea was that a 45 trim T3 could flow 15 lbs/min at 15 psi and be at its maximum compressor efficiency. The sample of compressor maps to which I had access was admittedly pretty small.

If anyone can suggest a turbo appropriate to TT N* please do so.

For a TT application, I've been thinking about water cooled T3's from a turbocoupe T-bird. Coming from a 2.3 litre 4 and going to one bank of a 4.6 litre 8 they'd be exactly the right size, but I hardly know anything about what trim the compressors had, what their efficiency maps look like, the maximum boost/HP they could supply to the stock engine, etc. Where could I find this info?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited March 14, 2001).]

Oh yeah, the LMP Northstar was de-stroked to 4.0 litres. That means that it had a larger rod:stroke ratio, more knock resistance, and could run more boost than a stock engine. I don't know if that makes up in power production for the loss of displacement or not.