HybridZ

More bracing for the Procharger

Replaced my idler bearing, seems a little tighter, now the task of bracing the Procharger. I've added, with minimal success, some braces from various points on the mounting bracket. I could still flex the mounts by squeezing the belt, noting about 1/8" movement. I can only imagine how much movement I'm getting at full boost. The optimal location for the brace is off the outboard side of the compressor housing, right next to the strut and fender. I fabricated a steel strap that mounts from one of the housing retaining bolts, and angles downward toward the # 5 exhaust bolt. Another small 1" bracket mounts to the header bolt hole. Used a small turnbuckle and tightened. No more movement! I hope my belt eating habit is done. Those suckers are expensive. Summit sells the Good year Poly V belts for $6-7 less than the auto parts stores.

Guest JAMIE T

My original Vortech(HO S-trim) mount(3/16 plate) flexed under boost. I cured that by tracing the mount on to a piece of 1/4" plate and adding a similar set-up to the one you now have. I had solid motor mounts, so I ran the turn buckle to the strut tower, this has been done for years on 5.0 Mustangs.

Guest Fast Frog

John:

Keep us informed about the success of your bracing from behind to an engine bolt. My Paxton had a bracket strapping that bolted to the front driver's side bolts of the intake manifold, but cause I didn't have a stock OEM setup, I couldn't use it.

Rick

So far bracing is a success! I was "burning" through a belt a week with the 3.95 pulley. I can't afford a new belt 'till I start working, so I've been recycling some old ones. Usually this lasts one good run. After many hard runs, it is showing no wear. I think a better design can be made to disperse the load using two housing bolts. The load on the single 1/4" bolt concerns me. Anyway, it's been nice to hammer it to the limit w/o the belt tossing or slipping. Once I get a new belt on I'll document the longivity.

JS