HybridZ

will a supercharger or turbocharger really help my 77 280z?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i just found a horsepower comparison between the different z's, and i see that my 77 280z is almost at the bottom with just 145hp stock! i'm wondering if i could pull a supercharger (preferably) or turbocharger off of a junkyard car and just "bolt on" what i need to give it a little more pep, or if that same money would be better spent adding turbo to my 86 rx7? any suggestions as to what i should do, or where i could find more info? thanks!!

For the 280Z, I believe the consensus I've witnessed here and elsewhere is to just get the engine, trans, and elctronics from a 280ZX Turbo and transplant it. Cheaper, easier and better result than trying to cobble your own turbo system, generally.

As for the RX-7, I'd think if it was a Normally Aspirated engine, you might again be better off getting the engine from a Turbo version of that car.

HTH,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Given the choice between a turbo and supercharger setup for the L series, I'd almost always go turbo. (I can think of one instance, slalom, when you may want a supercharger instead)

Why? There are no engineered supercharger systems for the L series that I am aware of. There is 1 well engineered turbo system however, and I think the Nissan engineers had a bit more insight into the L engine than most kit builders do. wink.gif

It is possible to do it on the cheap... but its much easier to go crazy and spend tons more than you expect to, to get more power/make it easier. Just FYI.

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

Guest Anonymous

i'm definitely leaning more towards the "cheap" end of things. what is that bolt-on nissan turbo you were talking about, and where might i find one?

thanks for the responses, by the way. smile.gif

------------------

Stock 1977 280Z! Also have an '86 RX7 (13b non-turbo) and a '68 Dodge Dart (225).

Sorry, I thought you'd know what I was talking about. The 1981-1983 280zx came in a turbo model, which was the "well engineered system" that I was talking about. You could swap in the whole setup for fairly inexpensively, but you'd probably be best to find a turbo car that is allready running, and swap it out of there, complete with wiring.

Its not a small job, its a complete engine swap. But if you are willing to substitue a lot of your own work, you should be able to do it without spending a lot.

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

Guest Fast Frog

zaebra:

As footnote to Drax,s and pparaska's reply, Yes, an inexpensive way to increase HP by 50+ percent is to get a complete ZX turbo setup from a salvage yard(manifolds, AF meter, FInjectors with wiring harness, exhaust sys, etc.)and send the stock turbo to Turbo Specialties in Alabama. They specialize in refurbishing ZX turbos into a hybrid setup which is more powerful and more efficient(80%). You could save up to 50% over going to a turbo shop and having a complete aftermarket setup installed. Mike, at TS, says his hybrid setup runs 9lbs of boost (+/-) and could give you up to 300HP.

Turbo Specialties phone# (205) 444-5011

Good luck!!