HybridZ

this would be unique

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

anyone ever hear of a Turbo-Jet powered Z? i've been tossing round the idea for about a month now! but in order to build a large Turbo-Jet, i need to build a small one first to get the concept down. 150-200 lbs of thrust would get the car going, not smokingly fast but it would go. and it could be done with a big deisel turbocharger. have i completely lossed it or would this not be one of the coolest ideas ever?!?! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Yep, you lost it.. Nah, just kidding, it would make a good exhibition car at the drags, but you'll need WAY more than that for thrust. The homemade diesel turbo jet I don't think will give you that much thrust either. Check these turbine links (if you havn't already)

http://geetel.net/~turbojer/links.htm

Now, if you can put that much thrust in a Go-kart, you'll be in business, but most of those homemade turbo jets require alot of things to make them run I.E. pumps for the oil in the turbo, pumps for the fuel (unless your running propane, and liquid fuel is generally better for power), power to run the pumps unless you use a free turbine wheel to power them.

Not shooting down the idea, its great, just filling in a few holes in the idea IMHO.

Lone

David, I saw a site recently (it may even have been posted on this board) about a guy that made a jet using an old turbo in his basement. Maybe someone can chime in with the URL as for some reason I didn't bookmark it.

I've also seen an MR2 with 3 small jets on the back. However, on a street car I think you are just asking for trouble.

Don't know if it's the same site you were thinking of--but I have always found this site to be pretty good: www.gas-turbines.com

I wouldn't mind getting one of those boats myself...

(Interests like these are the result of 10 years as a Gas Turbine Tech in Uncle Sam's canoe club, and my new occupation as a power plant operator-it's not my fault I'm insane icon_razz.gif )

Jim

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

You don't seem that insane to me...I happen to be part of uncle sam's great green gun club(the misguided children) and work as an aircraft mechanic...turbocharger is just a little bit longer name for turbine, which is what powers a jet engine anyways, the only difference is that with a turbocharged car engine, the exhaust is not providing thrust to push forward in the same manner that a turbine engine does...it only serves to provide more air for the engine which basically is an exaggerated air pump in the first place...just like the turboprops on our KC-130's very little of the exhaust is meant to provide thrust for the engine, and in fact the turbine drives a reduction gear assembly that spins the prop blades at a constant RPM...it's the prop blade angle that provides more or less in regards to forward thrust and torque in that case...adjustable of course from the flight station(****pit)

To boil it all down, a turbine jet engine is basically just a VERY oversized turbocharger, with the exhaust stage driving the intake stage...afterburners, being an upgrade on a normal jet engine, allow for much more power, but at a cost of much more fuel...using additional injectors, an additional ignition source, and having an adjustable tailpipe(you see it on a jet that uses afterburner to take off on short runways, the tailpipe can be expanded and contracted...necessary because during normal operation, power would be lost if the tailpipe were as big as it was during afterburner use)