HybridZ

turbo manifold studs

Nigel

As far as I know, they are threaded. At least mine are (I'm using an N42 head).

You should be able to get the studs from a Nissan Dealer - I got mine from Courtesy Nissan. I used a prevailing torque-style nut on mine ("ovaled"), in an attempt to keep them from backing out - seems to be working so far. You can get these at a decent fastener supplier.

I'm trying to freshen up the gasket surface on the exhaust manifold where the turbo bolts up, and the studs are getting in the way. I've tried removing the studs, but they won't budge, even after torching the manifold. I just want to confirm that they are threaded into the manifold and not pressed in. Anyone know?

Also, does anyone know where to get replacement studs, should one break? They're stainless, and it's next to impossible to find an M10 stainless fastener with a 1.25 thread pitch.

Thanks!

Nigel

Well, I chickend out. The studs just weren't budging, and I had visions of broken studs, machining costs, and lost time. I'll just have to work around the studs in order to clean up the gasket surface.

Thanks Tim

Nigel

Guest Anonymous

Have you tried the time honored Vice Grip approach to removal? Just a thought, I'm pretty sure they're threaded too, It seems like you can see the treaded part on the top half of the flange. I could be mistaken though. Haven't looked at it recently.

I double-bolted the studs, and torched the manifold real good, but the studs just start to twist. I guess 20 years threaded into a cast iron manifold with countless heat cycles and exposure to the elements have entombed the studs. If one breaks, it's a lot of time and money for a questionable return. I think I can tidy the gasket surface up well enough that it will seal ok.

Thanks for the ideas though!

Nigel

I have done it before and they are threaded. I had to remove mine to put on longer ones when I used to run the t3/T04E and I had to make a spacer between the manifold and turbo. This required that I used longer studs. Anyway, I soaked them with penetrating oil and use some Massive Vice grips and worked them free. Try tightening them 1st to break them loose and then back them out. Don't give up, this is man vs Bolt....Who will win!

Heat the vice-grips? Ouch! icon_biggrin.gif

Well, to up-date you all, I striped the threads on one of the studs. I think I'm just going to hand the manifold over to a machine shop and let them pull the studs and machine the gasket surfaces. I don't want to waste any more of my time on this!

Nigel