HybridZ

headers for angled plug heads?

hey guys,

i am replacing the 350 in my 240Z with a 377. i am using canfield aluminum blueprinted race heads for my motor, which has angled plugs. i used hooker street rod headers with no problems for my 350, but these wont work with my angled plug heads.

i used the hooker kit for the original conversion, which practically sets the water pump on the front bumper. i plan on changing to the jtr kit later, when i switch to an overdrive tranny, but for now, i am sticking with what i have.

i know that the S&S headers will not work. even with turning the motor mounts around and setting everything as far back as possible with the hooker kit, i still need about 1/2 to 3/4" to clear the steering. HPC makes a street rod header that looks like it 'might' work... but i am still waiting on an email back from them.

right now i am trying to save money, so the only other purchase i want to make is headers that will work with my heads and the hooker kit.

has anyone come across this little inconvenience? are there headers that will work with my application?

Guest dankinzle

I've got some headers with angle plugs on mine. I ended up going with a cast blockhugger from sanderson. It's qp1000, and it clears just fine with JTR. Kinda heavy though. I've got some pics on my page...

Did you use full lengthe hooker headers on your hooker conversion? If so and you have no use would you be interested in selling them? Ive got the scarab conversion in my 71Z. Straight plug heads on mine as well,but using Sanderson block huggers, ceramic coated but I think they are too small!

zfan..Mike

Guest Anonymous

Can anybody give us some feedback as to whether or not the TrickFlow (or Canfield, Brodix, etc...) angle plug heads fit with regular blockhuggers? A listing of some sort would be very helpful I'm sure...

ditto that one, hydra. i would like to see some sort of listing for what headers will fit for the hooker kit, especially with angled plugs.. the problem is, it is hard to take a set of headers and test fit them.... and then return them if they arent right.

the s&s full length headers will work with the motorsport or the jtr kits, but they wont work for the hooker kit. the steering shaft is in the way. i have seen s&s headers where the collector was removed and a turn-down was welded in to replace the collector. this was in a 71Z drag car using the hooker kit with the engine mounted as far back as possible with that kit, but even his steering arm was too close to the header for my comfort.

and, sorry zfan... i am using hooker block huggers for my 350. i know that my headers wont work. and it's not the middle two plugs on the heads that are the problem. they will clear the block huggers. it's the end plugs that are somewhat in the way. most street rod headers make too quick a transition to point down to the collector. the outer-edged pipes need to come out away from the engine a little more before making the transition down into the collector then the angled plugs would be able to clear.

my plan is to convert to the jtr kit eventually. at that time, i will also switch to the s&s full length headers. for now, i am trying to find a block hugger that comes close to what i need. i think that heddman block hugger will work. with the engine on the stand and plugs in the heads, i am going to bolt the header to the head and see what sort of clearance is needed. i have a part number for a shorter plug that will work for my heads. hopefully, that will make a difference.

if that's not enough, i will gently massage the headers with a hammer and a socket. it wont be noticeable when looking at the motor in the car and it wont crease the header since the socket will allow for a rounded off indentation. it wont be much. if i have indent too far, i wont do it at all. all i need is about a quarter of an inch between the header and the plug boot. if that works for me, then i'll get them coated.

zfan, are you using the same cast sanderson headers as dankinzle? i was actually also thinking that a standard sanderson block hugger might work..... again, i dont like the cast ones. i'm wanting to reduce weight with my aluminum heads, not gain it back with cast headers.

Guest Anonymous

Check out motorsports for their 1 3/4 inch headers. They do fit angle plug heads and are a great fit with their kit. That is what I have and they are a good product.

I've got Trick Flow 23 degree heads on mine with Hooker block huggers and they just fit. I had to put a small dimple in the number three cylinder pipe so I could get the wrench on the plug.

When I said they just fit, I meant it. I have to use three different length plug sockets and for two plugs I have to use an open end wrench on the end of the socket to turn it. So, I installed platium tipped plugs and hope I never have to change them. rolleyesg.gif

Hydra, I have the FlowTechs - in fact I've got a set on my car I need to swap off but have yet to have TIME to get it over to the exhaust guy. They fit VERY well on my car, close to things but they cleared. They did come with a defect but a shot with the welder cleaned that up icon_rolleyes.gif It's a small primary header deisgned for STRAIGHT plugs according to their WEB site. Pics of the install are on my page - if you're interested in mine let me know - they're still on the car though. Just have gpotten lazy with the Z since cold weather got here and I've been wrangling a Supra purchaseRX7 sale icon_sad.gif

I have the Trick Flow 23 degree heads with angle plugs and used these headers from Zig's Street Rods.

http://www.zigsstreetrods.com/

Go to headers. I used the RW37 headers. If you notice the outer tubes come down differently then the regular ones above it. There prices have gone up since I bought mine, but they are well made headers. One thing though I had to add a U joint in the steering shaft to clear because these headers stick out more than regular ones.