HybridZ

Need advice on welding chambers.

Redthedatsun

Hello all! I’ve done a lot of reading on various forums (including this one) but haven’t posted much of anything. So for my first post I figured let’s go BIG!

So where to start…

I have two spare heads. (N47 and P79) both are purely spares and I understand and have read the pros and cons of both heads blah blah blah. Let’s get to the fun part!

(Before I forget to mention, my block is a stock dished piston block. I forget if it’s a N47 or N42 off the top of my head. Aside from the distributor delete for the full sequential megasquirt 3 setup that is. But back to the topic at hand.)

Now from my understanding (correct me if I’m wrong) the dished pistons won’t take advantage of the “quench” of any “quench” head (P79, P90, P90a) there’s also the compression drop. 

I have some experience behind a tig welder and have a air compressor. So my question is. If I take the head completely apart and weld the chambers up (let’s say the P79 for arguments sake) is this possible if I take little shots at it and cool the head with the air gun? Or will it be a warped un-salvageable mess??

The other question that goes along with this is. Can I get away with keeping the valve seats and guides in place? And potentially only decking the head to bring the welded areas flat? 

The less machine work the better as I’m on a budget. I understand the potential problems with this but I’m curious if it’s doable and what precautions would need to be taken to ensure a successful result at home.

with lots of machine work it’s absolutely doable without a doubt, but what about for a home guy like me?

Thank you for reading, and have a great day/night. I look forward to reading everyone’s messages!