HybridZ

Updated TwinTurbo Pics

240Z Turbo

Looking good James! Just a question, I'm not very familiar with twin setups, but are you plumbing both turbo's through the one wastegate, and just haven't quite got all the pipes together in that picture?

Intake looks really good too. If I didn't have so much going on with the FSAE car I'd consider doing one for myself this term. (all my shop time is spent on the FSAE car though) Can't wait to hear about it running! L6 power baby!

Drax, as you can see the wastegate outlet of the front turbo goes to the wastegate as pictured and you can also see the tube that merges into it. I will next run more 1.75" SS tube from the wastegate hole off the rear turbo to the merge. So as you said, both turbo's are tied into the single wastegate. This will also act as a balance tube for the exhaust pressure.

For the exhaust you can see the rear turbo downpipe heads toward the ground and the front downpipe snakes under the rear turbo. I will also merge these two 2.5" SS dowpipes into a single 3.5" collector. The tricky part is placing the SS bellows inline on both the downpipe and wastegate tube somewhere in the system. This will allow for flex caused by vibration and heat expansion. I have actually completed the hardest part which was getting the rear downpipe from hitting the car and the front downpipe from hitting the rear turbo. I will next remove the header and fab the remaining with it off the car. It will be much easier that way and I now know I have no more clearance issues. After that it is only a matter of making some heat shields. Luckily I now have access to a shear and break! YIPPEE! TT here I come!

Yes, the area for both 2.5" downpipes is 9.817 in^2 and the area of 1 single 3.5" downpipe is 9.62 in^2. I did not want restriction that would have occurred if I were to use a single 3" after the collector. Yes, it is a true 3.5". I thought about getting some 3" and then writing 3.5" on the side of it, but figured it would not be a true 3.5"! HEHE! Actually, I purchased 3.5" oval exhaust that measure about 4" wide x 2.5" tall to tuck underneath my car and the exhaust will exit infront of the rear tire on the passenger's side.

OK, so not a fake 3.5" exhaust. icon_rolleyes.gif I deserved that.

Sounds great, have you found a muffler to run with the oval pipe? Just out of curiosity since you've had a few turbo setups, have you run at all with no resonator and just a straight through muffler? How was it for noise?

wow!

cant wait to see video on that setup...!!! looking really good james. im sooooo jealous..hehehe have fun with your set-up! oh by the way, do you happen to have any old photos of your first motor with the mercedes 65mm t/b. i picked one up at the pick-n-pull and just want to see what you did for the return spring and linkage to the pedal. thanks a million

mike icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

240Z Turbo, that's a masterpiece!!! I can't believe I haven't looked at this thread before. Did you do the work yourself or did you have someone else build it for you? WOW!! Bravo! If someone else is responsible for fabrication, do you know if they'd be willing to make another set? I have a handful of old eclipse turbos I need to get rid of but may be there's a slim chance I can put them to use again afterall icon_confused.gif Can't wait to see the end results!