HybridZ

'82 280zxt Power loss

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi Guys. Three years ago I bought a wrecked '82 turbo car and put the engine and T5 in my '73 240z. The car is now very well sorted out except for one recurring problem. The car will gradually lose power at higher RPM's and throttle settings. When it gets really bad, it will barely go above 4000 RPM in low gear. If I unplug the connectors from the computer and spray them with tuner cleaner, it pulls like a train and instantly revs to redline. Then it slowly loses power again over the next few weeks. I have tried 5 (five) different computers, two fuel pump control modulators, two fuel pumps, three wiring harnesses, and have a rebuilt air flow meter. I am running 12 pounds of boost. It acts just like fuel starvation in that it is worse when cold (which requires more fuel). The higher than stock boost levels also accentuate the problem. A friend with a stock '83 turbo has the same problem. He is ready to solder the wires straight to the computer. This is an obvious design problem where these old connector pins can't handle the current anymore. Does anyone know of Nissan service bulletins or know which connector pin(s) are at fault? I could install an extra connector and go around this "weakest link". Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

The problem is not fixed yet. Another guy with almost the identical setup replied to me saying it was the ignition coil. I went to the wrecking yard saturday and got one from a Z31 300zx turbo as he suggested. It is the newer style coil, not the old world war II round type. I am firing it from the same igniter. It did not fix the problem. My next step is to get a fuel pressure guage, hook it up with a "T" going into the fuel rail and watch the fuel pressure while driving. If you have any other suggestions, let me know. Thanks for your interest.

• 3 weeks later...