HybridZ

what kind of turbo?

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

i was thinking that a t3/t4 garret would be good, but i don't the limitations on it. i want something that is gonna be able to pump out crazy amounts of boost. does anyone have any recommendations? oh yeah, i need the turbocharger, and intercooler, and a boost controller just to get started right? then add a wastegate and blow off valve when i start upping the pressure? i don't know if that's right or not. thanks.

Guest Anonymous

OK now i don't kknow much about turbos, because my only experience is my mostly stock 87T ... but ill give it a shot.

You will need the proper manifolds/headers/piping....

the t4 is good to 500 hp i think...

you will need the wastegate right away i think, that is where you will be letting off excess exaust. blow off valve is to keep the turbo spinning when you let off i think... so if your gonna go intercooler, your gonna need a pressure release in that ... you can do it there... don't remember what it's called... if you want you can go to z31.com, click on faq's and read the section of the TURBO faq about intercoolers...

i don't think you NEED the intercooler under like 10 lbs of boost... smaller turbos at low amounts of boost heat the intake air less than bigger turbos at the same boost pressure. if you were to go twin turbo, 2 t3's will flow way more than enough. You can pull them off 84-88 Turbo Z's.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

You're best bet is to contact a turbo specific company and let them sort the size for you. A T3/T4 hybrid is probably all you need, but as I said I'd get ahold of someone selling them and let they're experience work for you. Just a opinion.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: You'll need the Wastegate from the beginning not when you start turning up the boost, without it you'll spend time looking for parts that used to be inside the engine and have now taken orbit.

[ October 19, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Guest Anonymous

I think if you really want a flexible turbo, try looking into some of the larger, ball-bearing units from Turbonetics or HKS. The cool thing about these are the spool up time on these bigger units are comparable if not faster than units that are significantly smaller. The only downside= they can put a big dent in your wallet. But with bb turbos, you have longer-lasting, quicker-spooling and bigger boost benefits over conventional turbos. Also, Bradmanq45 is right, in order for a smaller turbo to produce as much boost as a larger one, it has to spin at higher revolutions. It's not uncommon for dinky KKK or T3's to run mugh higher than 130K rpms.

Guest Anonymous

just for reference i'll list my mods to the powerplant and my turbo settings

88mm 8.2 comp forged pistons

9mm l24 rods

LD28 crank

new main bearing caps etc etc

44mm intake 38mm exhaust

3 way valve job

lightweight retainers

dual valve springs

stock 82 ZXT cam

on the hot side i have a .69AR Garret T4

on the cold side i have P-trim .72AR wheel

i choose the more streetable turbo, after calling majestic turbo severly times and talking with them, with the powerplant mods, they recommanded a T-60 turbine for a full race application (dry sump, pulse/duration injectors etc) so i went with with the more streetable turbo the T4 so thats just a reference for compressor/turbine sizing. Its all compromise you cant have a turbo that spools at full at 1500rpm that has miminal back pressure. Just doesnt work like that. pick your prioities