HybridZ

Hey Scottie, James anybody else help me out please!

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Hey all. I blew out my 4 week old Nissan head gasket on my rebuilt 11.6:1 CR N/A motor yesterday and I am wondering if the Turbo headgasket is any better than the N/A gasket?

I've got a 75 block and N42 head.

I probably will get Turbo head bolts for the extra 5 ft lbs. of torque, but I need to know if the Turbo head gasket is any better and if it will work.

Also do you all think spraying the gaset with Copper spray would help or hurt?

Thanks guys!!

Later,norm

Well norm as far as i know the turbo head gasket should be better.It handles the huge boost pressures from the turbo so it should handle the compression pressure you have.As for the spray i don't know even what it is never seen it before.I know you where refurring to the other scottie but i thought i'd chime in too.Good luck i'm sure one of the turbo gods will answer too.

Norm, you could always bite the bullet and pick up a metal head gasket from Courtesy Nissan. I know $150 is a bunch of money, but it may be worth it in the time and trouble you go through having to replace head gasket after head gasket...

jus my $.02

Mike

Guest Tom Scala

I have factory Nissan gaskets for a 82 turbo and a 78 n/a in front of me now and aside from the water passages there seems to be no difference in their construction. I'm pretty sure the part numbers for the 82 turbo and n/a gaskets is the same too. Are you sure your not having marginal (inaudible) detonation? The "pings" you don't hear are the ones that do the most damage. That's alot of compression for pump gas.

Norm,

are you running pump gas? If yes, you might try adding some race gas at the track, assuming you are not using an O2 sensor. Adding 1 gal of 110 leaded to 4 gals of 93 gives you 96.4 and no more worries of detonation and head gaskets. Might even be able to add a couple of degrees of timing icon_biggrin.gif .

Norm dont even play with the head bolts. SOunds like its time for someone to call summit and order a set of ARP studs!!!!

Metal headgasket is nice, but id rather have the weak point be my headgasket than my pistons!!

Evan

Ps.. You considered running and O2 and an A/F gauge norm? One on each cyl. bank will tell you if your going lean for some crazy reason.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Thanks for the sugestions guys.

I was running a little lean on 1-3 as there was no carbon buildup at all on the bottom of the exhaust valve. #3 was the offending cylinder as well.

I got a Turbo headgasket today and new turbo head bolts.

I have to make about 12 small holes in the gasket for the water lines into the N42 head but it shouldnt be a problem.

The guy at Malvern racing said he does it all of the time.

The factory installed blue gasket sealer is a little splotchy in places on the head gasket sealing rings.

Do any of you know if this might cause sealing problems since it is not uniform?

Thanks,norm

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Hey Scott, it is a Nissan part.I saw the computer bring the part up on the parts computer and it stated it was for Turbo and N/A motors made 81 to 83.

BTW, the guy at Malvern racing in Virginia which specializes in Datsun Lseries engines said if he had all the money in engines that customers lost by running Fel pro gaskets he could retire to the Bahamas!! That's food for thought!!

I can tell you from looking a 4 different manufacturer's head gaskets that Fel pro's are definitely the most poorly made of the lot. The cylinder sealing rings are half the width of stock Nissan gaskets.

Later,norm