HybridZ

Detonation but i'm running rich...?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Heres the deal, I got my a/f gauge in and it shows im runnin all the way rich in boost, but I am detonating in third gear + at 4k rpm up. It does it when i run 6psi or more. I Dont know why, i put in a new fuel filter that was clogged really badly but that didn't help much.

I always thought detonatoin meant running lean, but my a/f gauge shows its actually running fairly rich. what else could be my problem? thanks

Scott

You burning any oil? Is it possible the O2 is being fooled? How many lbs of boost? Seems to me that even full rich if the boost is too high or octane too low you might get detonation. Not sure that flooding it with a firehose will stop it icon_smile.gif Did it always do this or have you raised the boostchanged the ignition curve?

Guest Anonymous

Running rich doesn't mean that you WON'T detonate.. detonation is usually a result of high temps in the combustion chamber.

Poor or no intercooler, exhaust restriction, etc.. can all cause it.

On my 1.8T motor, I peg the A/F meter at anything over 7psi (18psi total), but can still get just a bit of detonation, which the knock sensor is trying to stop, but I can tell it's there.

Methinks the air entering your combustion chamber is too hot. By running rich, the excess fuel helps cool the charge some..but it's not a fix-all.

HTH coollook.gif

• 4 weeks later...