HybridZ

I just got a turbo...now what?

Guest hgray14

Guest hgray14

The nice folks from zcar.com sent me to this forum because they said you guys would be the ones in the know. I just purchased an '82 turbo donor and a '72 receipant….both Z cars. Now I have some questions. I am already getting a bunch of books on Turbos and Boost and Horsepower and etc plus the factory and aftermarket manuals for both cars. I am also feverishly going through these archives but have some specific question that maybe you can help me with.

1. Pistons…do I want them dished or flat-top. What does that mean?

2. I plan on rebuilding the engine before I drop it in the new car…what should I do? I have been told to really beef it up so that I won’t have to rebuild it if I want to start modifying it. I was told to get forged pistons, etc – hardened internals. What parts should be modified and about how much will this cost for my stock engine?

3. I have also read about thermal coating the internals of the engine. How much difference does this make and what does it cost? When I call my local shop are they going to know what I am talking about when I ask about thermal coating?

4. I keep reading about people pulling their 2.8s and replacing them with 3.1s What is a 3.1? Is it just a bored out 2.8? Are 3.1s turbo? If they are not turbo how does a 3.1 compare to a 2.8 turbo? How much more power do you get out of a 3.1? I hear they are expensive; is this true?

5. Tranny. What kind do I want to use? I like 5 speeds for their top end.

6. Turbo. Are turbos expensive? Am I better off boring out my stock turbo or picking up a new/used larger one? What should they cost?

7. Intercooler. I have read about the Isuzu NPR and it seems pretty nice. I have also looked at a Ford Powerstroke and it looks like it might work too. I assume there is such thing as a intercooler that is too small…does this hold true for too big concerning performance?

8. Is anybody running nitrous with their 2.8 turbo? What are the pluses and minuses?

9. low boost/high boost? I was reading about someone getting tons of HP with low boost on a 3.1 and other times I read about 2.8s with high boost. What is up? Do you normally run a 3.1 with low boost or was that persons just showing that at low boost they were getting lots of power and so if they up’d the boost they would get even more? I am sure that one is answering in one of the books on its way to me…but I am impatient.

10. What are the largest wheels I can fit on my ’72 without fender flares? I hear that I can fit 17”ers if I bend the inner fender lips up and away from the tire. Any advice?

11. Last question…and this going to probably make you scratch your head. I want to take the 2.4 engine and put it into the ’82. I do some work out in a harsh desert and would love to have a beater car that I can push over a cliff if I have to. Since I have the body of an ’82 and the engine of a ’72 that will go to waste otherwise I want to put them together. Is this going to be fairly easy or am I in for some surprises? I assume it will be under powered but that is ok since I need it to do patrols at between 5 and 40 mph…plus I like the idea of T-tops for my patrols. Stop laughing…just tell me if you see any problems. LOL

Thanks for any help you can give me. I am totally stoked to be starting this project and want to do it right. I have the time and space to not have to rush this and want to do it right the first time.

Houston

hgray14@aol.com

hey where you at in frisco? im in the sunset.

hey for a turbo swap i say keep it simple

just swap motor and trans, plus all wiring and of course the turbo, for kicks i say add an intercooler(aluminum if you can) a blowoff and a big exhaust for kicks, that should be fun while you kick the bugs out of the system, electrical gremlins and what not. by this time you are close to the end of stock datsun efi power, you will have to go motec on that ass with bigger injectors that the system cant handle, and more power which it hates even more, bigger turbo intercooler turbo timer, yeah.... all said and done its very easy swap and can make good power, i would like to do one too some day, but not tonite!

Guest hgray14

I am in Noe Valley but my dad has a ranch up in Sonoma County where both the turbo and the '72 can sit for a while while I work out all the bugs. I got the '82 turbo for $650 and am looking at a cheap 240z so I should get out of this whole thing (including some mods like intercooler) for around $3000. I am looking forward to the extra power.

Houston