HybridZ

a couple more turbo questions

Guest hgray14

Guest hgray14

1. What is hot tanking?

2. Where do I get a decently priced t4 turbo? What kind of car do they come in?

3. What is a t3/t4 hybrid? How much should they cost used? How do you they compare in price and performance to the t4? Are there any other turbos that are good for a 2.8l turbo engine?

thanks again

Houston

Guest Anonymous

Houston,

I can give you just a general understanding to your questions, I'm sure the Turbo gods on this forum (ahem.. scottie) can fill in on where to pull a t4 from.

Hot tanking..

almost exactly as it sounds, I figure you are referring to getting your bottom end tanked. In which case a machine shop will put it in a [hot tank] and wash it nice and clean. I got a l28 done for $48 just for the vat.

T4's..

are very common, actually. They were made OEM with mid-sized turbo motors (2.5-3.5)... I can't exactly quote you on specific models but I remember seeing a guide at one turbo site.. dodge garage maybe? I'm sure others can give you some models/links on where to find pick-n-pullable ones made in OEM turbo vehicles. Otherwise, there are many places like Turbonetics and Garret who deal t4's (and hybrid t3/t04's)

hybrid turbo's..

are much like hybrid-anything, they are two or more combined pieces/parts to create a better whole. In the case of the t3/t04.. the t3 turbine side is small enough to spool up fast while the t04 compressor side can support more boost/power for a longer, more optimized boost range. t04's are bigger than t3's, require less rpm's to produce as much boost in a given situation.

Hope that answers your questions..

I think I gave mostly reliable information icon_rolleyes.gif

good luck!

-980mak

Guest hgray14

Thanks a ton for the answers. When they hot tank did they need to whole engine? Do you know what they used? I will have the engine on my dad's ranch and could clean it myself i guess since I have more time a this point than energy to drag the thing into town and have it done.

Houston