HybridZ

I'm going Turbo!!

Guest kc6wfs

hopefully anyhow...

Here is the scoop.

My bro in law has a Air Research turbo set he built a few years ago for a 350 block and set sold it to a friend that never used it.

He says it's 6-9 lb boost with the plate,wastgate,headers,alcohal injector, ect.

Plug and play for the most part. Will have to cut up my headers and retrofit for the Vortec heads.

He does not see to much of a problem with my 9:1 compression as long as I run the alchol injector and 100+ gas.

$300.00 for the set up!!!

What problems do you gurus forsee?

Thanks.

Dave

Dave,

I'm no expert, but I think you should pick up that turbo setup right away! icon_biggrin.gif man, only 300 bones? It would be a neat project, but also think about the money you'll need for a computer/engine management system, like SDS or that kind of thing. Your wife's Mustang is finished already?!? Sheesh, I'm lagging...Seriously, if the turbo does not work out for some odd reason, contact me offline about it.

Davy

quote:

Originally posted by pparaska:

...Traction...

And, if this is a Street Driven Z..that 100+ Octane gas gets pretty expensive after awhile.

Just a thought: but if you do go w/that turbo set up why not put the turbo set up in a safe place somewhere & save up for the proper pistons to lower your comp.ratio.

Or, you could always alter your A/R ratio of the turbo which would aid in the delay of early RPM spool up due to your higher compression: talk to a pro-turbo shop about that one (just a thought).

The turbo set up, once you've purchased them, wont be going anywhere & when you obtain pistons of the correct comp.ratio (to allow street driving w/out the need of 100+ Octain Gas) you can enjoy your "incognito Monster" on the street w/out fear of possible constant detonation.

Like mentioned earlier: the expense doesnt stop at the purchase of the turbo set up...you still have to purchase some sort of management system..why not also get a set of comparable pistons(?)...just my .02c's worth/or alter the A/R ratio of the compressor.

(Turbo set up on a V8/Z...that would be nice).

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Hi again guys,

Talked to bro-inlaw again in depth about the turbo.

He is waiting for his friend to call him back.

I will have to change heads, Vortecs will not work with the headers that are for standard 350 heads.

So the Vortecs will come out and I'll get alum heads around 72cc, and swap out the stock hypert pistons with forged pistons and good rings.

No mater which way it goes if the turbo set is still in the guys garage I'll buy it.

As for the wifes 67 mustang I pulled the motor and to my surprise it's the origional 289 2V !!!

It had 302 sticker on the valve cover..

I wint by Jim Grubbs Motorsport and they want $3500 to turn in into a tough 350hp 289 motor that will last. Prob get it done in Feb,

Now I'm striping fenders, and rewiring the whole car. It'll be super sweet when done.

Dave

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Man, I dont' think you will have any problems at all once you richen it up a bit running up to abotu 10 PSI. I am running 14 - 15 PSI now on a stock block, stock heads, 5.0 ford motor with no problems. 468 HP is tons of fun.

Traction will be your worst enemy!!!!

Dave,

The new heads will rock! 72cc or even bigger is the way to with one of those. Are you still shooting for compression ratio in the 9's or lower in the 8's? Just curious. Anyway, post the heads for sale and I'm sure you'll get a buyer right away. Hope the turbo works out for you.

Don't forget to take pictures!! lol :D

Davy