HybridZ

I need help on my 280zx Turbo project!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have read much experiances on the internet and want to know every ones opinion on the project I am about to attempt. I own a 1983 280zx 2+2 Non-Turbo. I am waiting for some parts I bought from Showcars-bodyparts.com. I ordered (everything fiberglass) California Z Wide Body Kit (Front fenders and Quarters), Hood W/ 2" Cowl, Front Valance and a set of steel rockers. The body is all set. I have redone the interior with Sparco racing seats and 4 point harness. What I am interested now is the more important engine. I met this guy online who does nothing but Z car turbo systems. Builds them on his Z's or Zx's in his shop with intercooler and everything and ships them out. Very reasonably priced. He also will port and polish the intake manifold and put a 75mm Thottle body on it for a great package deal. I want to get the engine as strong as possible before putting the turbo on even though I'm only gonna be running a stock turbo. Theres also I guy selling a Turbo engine in my area for $300. I have a P79 head and a F54 Block so I'm running flattop pistons I beleive from what I read on some sites, which is a start. I also think I have a 3.90 Diff. I want to do the head and wondering if I should buy this guys engine and use the P90 to rebuild and bolt it to the block or use the stock P79?. I saw some people use SU's but I would be running Fuel injection. Should I switch over or is it alright to use the EFI? What type of performance differences are we talking about? I found some cams by Motorsport, VB and ArizonaZcar that I think I'm gonna use. I want to know where I should go to do the head job and is there anything else I can do to pump the most out of my engine? I want to keep the inline 6 and try to do what I can with it instead of swapping in a V8 or something.

Please post here or email me @ Jarrettstanza@aol.com

Jarrett

IMO, the best approach to building a turbo engine is start with a turbo engine. The one thing you have not stated is your HP and performance goals. You can make anywhere from 200hp to 450hp with the L28ET and depending on where you fall in that range, things like a 75mm TB and hot cams are not needed. Assuming you want a lot more than stock, then the focus should be on things that will help make hp AND reduce or eliminate detonation, such as an efficient intercooler, bigger turbo, upgrading the fuel system, a free-flowing exhaust and fuel and ignition management.

The 75mm TB, hot cam and 3.90 rear sounds like the NA approach to performance is being applied to a turbo and that is a mistake many folks make. Do a search and find DRAX's website for an excellent insight on how to approach a L28ET buildup.

jarrett scottie know a whole heck of alot about turbos and he's right i was on the same path as you when i decided on a turbo set up scottie showed me the way and i took it from there.I swapped an 81zxt motor in my 76 and i got good power for cheap even with the stock bottom end and turbo.I am right now in the middle of modding it more i have rebuilt the engine and plan for a new clutch and turbo.The stock engine can handle alot of abuse mine did great i beat the crap out of it and it just took it all and smiled asking for more.I was running high 12's in the quarter with mine the only mods i had where basic exhaust injectors and an ic with 18 psi of boost and the stock clutch which was slipping.I'd have to say start with a stock turbo and work up it's the best way and you learn in the process.

As for your question about running SU's or EFI. I've tried both and EFI is the best way to go with a turbo'd car. The EFI systems are more adaptive, get better gas milage, help control detonation, and allow you to run an intercooler.

As for porting the intake/head and such, I think I'd just get it running to begin with, and put that money that you would have spent on the machining to get a nice front mount intercooler, upgraded turbo, injectors, fuel pump, exhaust system, ect. You will see better results from these.

This guy that does the whole L28ET setups is probably having a lot of fun fabricating the stuff, but it sounds like you'd probably have as much fun as he's having if you did it yourself. You've got us here for your questions. You will learn more doing it yourself, and will know what and how to upgrade to get to your next goal on your own.

Guest Anonymous

thanks everyone for the help. I really was a help as to which way I should go with this. Does anyone have any suggestions as if I should pick up this guy turbo engine and put the P90 head on or just keep the P79 thats on there now? I really don't want to go through dropping the entire engine in but I would like to know everyones opinions and suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

i have heard that the 79s have a restrictive hot plate on the exhaust port thats hard to port properly, but the other one is better because it doesnt have it