HybridZ

Porsche external waste gate

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the 944/924 external waste gates? Here is one on ebay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1826647095&r=0&t=0

I found one locally, and was thinking of using it on my 7m-gte along with a full t4.. Not sure if it would flow enough exhaust, but it is tons larger than any of the waste gate ports that I've seen on T3's. I think the ports are a little under 2"

There are Audi ones as well .I dont remember the years , but some are adjustable. they sell on ebay for usually between $50 and $100 . I just sold one so that is why I know. :D:D

here are the dimensions. The wastegate is 7" tall , and about 5" in diameter. The plunger is 1.25" and the exhaust pipe on this is roughly 2" wide and 5" long. just to let ya know.

~Kenny

Guest Anonymous

Tony, i am using an Audi 5000 external wastegate on my turbo nitrous car. So, far the Audi unit along with the stock Toyota CT26 wastegate is flowing around 200rwh worth of nitrous though them with only 2 psi of boost creep. I think the Porsche unit is very similar to the Audi one . i wouldn`t anticipate any problems as long as your under 500rwh or so.

Thanks for the info guys. I found one in a junk yard, pulled it today out of a 924 Porsche Turbo. What a pain!!! That things is really hard to get out. Well, all the work on pulling it is worth it since I convinced the yard it was an EGR valve (a large one, hehe). So, I got a good deal on it. Took it home, took it part and bead blasted it, and here it is:

waste1.jpgwaste2.jpg

Wonder if I can get rebuild seal parts for it. Anyone know? Should I hook the vacuum line up to the compressor housing of the turbo, or up to the intake manifold?

My CT-26 has a built in waste gate door, so I'll stick with it until I upgrade turbos, at which point I'll make up the piping to hook this guy up.

Guest Azel

I got two words for ya.... BLING BLING!!

Wow that Porsche wastegate looks really sharp. It looks higher-quality than just an OEM unit. Looks very similar to a Tial wastegate I've seen. Are you planning on powdercoating it? Is it adjustable?

I'd powder coat the iron part if it would take the heat, just not sure that it would. Also, I don't think you can take the valve out very easily. The aluminum can stay, the the steel breather on the top I'll paint black.

It's not internally adjustable, but I do have an electric boost controler built into my engine management system to modulate the vacuum.