HybridZ

volvo 740 intercooler

Guest Paul Felker

Guest Paul Felker

Hello everyone, I found a intercooler in a volvo 740 sedan, and was wondering if these intercollers are any good for a turbo l8 in a 75z. the inlet and outlet are on top and at the opposite sides from each other the diamater of the inlet and outlet are 3in in dia. Later

Scotty Mitz is running one, running around 18psi of boost with great results. I've heard bad things about the plastic end tanks, but Scotty put it to real world use in his turbo 280Z that make me believe it may be worth using.

mine doesn't have the 3" outlet and inlet it has the 2.5 and they face the back of the ic but i do like the ic alot.I get alot of emails about it and i give them my opinion on it.I'll see how it does with the new turbo and let everyone know.If i where you and you have it i'd say use it.The one i have is suppose to be god up to 25 psi so i'm gonna take it there and see if i can break it.

i guess alot of people think the volvo ic's are bad but i have had very good luck with mine and tell everyone about it.

I was fitting one to my '76 Z when I found a Saab 9000 intercooler which is similar but seems to fit better. I used a big Mercedes aluminum radiator with electric fans and decentered it to the pass side to allow the air intake hose to pass through next to it. This allows both intercooler hoses to go through the round openings in the radiator support. I have a '72 front bumper so was able to cut the bumper shock housings where the intercooler fits between them. My main concern is ground clearance. I think it's OK but I'm going to fabricate some sort of guard for peace of mind. DAW

Guest Anonymous
The one i have is suppose to be god up to 25 psi so i'm gonna take it there and see if i can break it
Scotty I like your style :Dcheers.gif

I think the cheapest worthwhile oem fmic would have to be the starion/conquest unit. Intercooling is probably my favorite aspect of turbocharging- besides the turbo itself, not the place I like to "skimp out." I'll probably have about $1000 in turbo and i/c.. well balanced to support 300 rwhp at moderate (low 3bar) boost. Which intercooer? Probably a custom core.. about 20x11x3, with endtanks on the lengthy side (less pressure loss). I wonder if anyone has ever flow tested any of the volvo or saab units. BTW here's a cheap one if anyone's interested

volvo 740 i/c

Well, I'm eager to see how the high boost works for you scotty.. still breaking it in?... keep us posted!

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest Anonymous

I have a Volvo I/C like that but it sitting on the self along w/ all of the other parts. but I thought that Volvo make many High-end quality Turbocharged vehicles and the engineers confused2.gif PROBABLY confused2.gif know what they are doing. Just my own opinion.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Mark

Guest Anonymous

i saw one guy gt pretty creative with some volvo IC before. i'll try to find his site and post it for you guys. he took 3 volvo ICs and took off the end tanks so he had nothing but the bare cores. the he layered them and had a shop weld new end tanks on to them so he had a three core IC. he has it in a turbo 2.3L ford mustang that runs 25PSI of boost on pump gas, this is his DAILY DRIVER and he said that he alwas runs the 25PSI on it with no pinging, supposedly he had it flowed and stated that it flowed in the 900CFM range. not too bad of a idea in my book

Z-Freak I'd like to see pictures of that, sounds pretty awesome.

Mark, Volvo used to be known for having a sedan (the 740 turbo) that was able to keep up with the Porsche GT car of the day (944 Turbo). Even though that was pretty cool, the stock level of boost that was run was still only a mild 6-7psi of boost (I think), so the intercooler was never really stressed as much in stock form as we guys would stress our custom built machines.

I still have yet to hear first hand experience with people having these intercooler leak on them, but have heard first hand experience about them doing well.

I personally sold a Volvo IC, and kept my starion IC. I still need to weld some end pipes on it though. If any of you guys could do the welding cheaply for me let me know. I'd like to stick it in the car.

I used a Conquest intercooler in my 240 when it was turbocharged. It is ok if you don't mind 5 psi worth of pressure drop.

This is just my opinion because I know alot of people out there do things different and make it work, but a stock oem intercooler is not designed to work in the higher boost environment most of us run in. While it may work, you may have a lot of pressure drop, or low efficiency both of which are robbing you of power.

I think the guy on here with the twin turbo 240 L engine will back me up. You will make more power and be ahead of the game if you spend the money and get a good intercooler the first time. Again IMO.