HybridZ

stock or metal head gasket??

ZR8ED

Hey all. My VG30det engine rebuild is under way. I purchased a spare turbo motor to rebuild, so as not to take my 280 out of action during the rebuild.

My question is, I'm building the motor for a goal of 400hp. Is the stock head gasket good enough? or should I go for a metal head gasket? I sure don't want any head gasket failures at 15psi!

Any other recommendations for the motor?

It is getting a pretty extensive rebuild, including port and polishing the heads, intake and exhaust and the combustion chambers. polishing, shotpeening, and balancing the bottom end.

Larger turbo, injectors, etc...

Oh one last Q anyone know where I can get a lightweight front pully for a VG motor?

Thanks, bonk.gif

You can get a light weight pulley from orthodox racing, Stillen, and probably JWT. JWT should be your best friend going thru the rebuild process. Scottie is right about the ARP stuff, cheap insurance.

In my opinion, the factory head gaskets are fine. My friend was running them on his car with JWT sport 550 turbo's and he routinely ran more than 15 PSI. Having detonation is what will tear up your head gaskets.

I have a factory head gasket on my L series motor, and I am running in excess of 20 psi with no problems, although I did deck the block and had the head surfaced too. I have factory head bolts, and it my blow the gasket tomorrow, but so far, so good.

Seriously, call JWT in the AM, and talk with Clark. He will be straight with you. He has given me lots of tips about different things like clutch disks, and alternators and all sorts of things. They have really trick pistons for your engine, so if you haven't bought any yet, you should talk with him. I plug Clark alot, but I trust him. He will not steer you into something to make money if it doesn't work.

Good luck with you project.