HybridZ

Help!! I Want a Turbo charged 240Z!!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, I currently own a 72' 240Z and I'm thinking of transplanting a Turbo motor into my bad beast, Well I don't know what to do. What will I need to achieve ~20psi and 350+Hp. Is the BAE kit readily availiable? And is it worth it? What kind of electronics (ECU,harness,injectors,boost controls,etc???) How about an IC? And roughly how much $$$... For the swap? I'll build it up slowly but I want a parts list before I commit. But after I hear yall here I'm basically commited. I want BOOST!! Please reply and help a lost "Z" Freak, in need of a parts list. Thanks Yall for all the info. 2thumbs.gifrockon.gif

I am not sure if the BAE kit is made anymore, and their turbo is seriously old tech, I had one so I can tell you, it sucked.

I would start with locating a donor vehicle. 83 models or 82 models only. You don't want the 81 IMO.

Basically, the sky is the limit. You can use the stock ZX stuff, and supplement it with a bigger fuel pump ,and one of those rising rate of gain fuel pressure regulators (not prefferred IMO) use an additional injector controler, a JWT upgrade, or a stand alone. Stand alone is probably the best, but most expensive way to go.

Get at least a T3/T4 hybrid turbo, no smaller than a V trim on the compressor side, stage III turbine wheel, or fo to a T4.

You will have to have an intercooler to run the boost you want, and even then, you will probably have to step up to a 60-1 turbo to run it on pump gas. A 60-1 flows about 900 cfm, so you need an intercooler that is efficient in that flow range with low pressure drop and high efficiency. Do not buy a turbo from Turbonetics, again, IMO.

You are going to have to modify your fuel tank, and return line. The return line is to small on a 240 to work a stout fuel pump that a turbo requires, but you can use the regular fuel supply line as the return, and reroute the hose in the back. I upgraded my outlet to 1/2 inch and ran a copper line to the fuel rail for a supply line.

If you want forged pistons, and I would recommend that route, I have a post out on one of the other sections concerning getting some from Ross racing. Top End also has spec so you could order them from them as well.

You are probably looking at a pretty substantial investment to do all of this, and I would either go all out, or go in stages but plan everything I do as buildable. I would spend my money on good machine work and pistons, and the EFI setup. You can come up with a turbo and intercooler pretty reasonably by watching what people are selling here.

I probably have 5k in my set up and it is not exotic. Stock engine with forged pistons, hybrid turbo, JWT ECU set-up, but I had a ZX so I was ahead of the game.

It is expensive, but it sure is fun whooping up on people. Of course there are other turbo engines you could put in there as well, and that is a whole other story.

Good luck. Be happy to answer specific questions if you send me an email'

Guest Anonymous
2thumbs.gif Thanks for the Info guy's. I can't discribe how much that help's! Hey Scottie, Where can I get that SDS? You sold me on that one. Who would yall recomend as a supplier for a T3T4 hybrid turbo? And How much $$$ should I expect to lay down for the Turbo? I can deal with the engine myself, but the turbo and electronics are vodoo to me guy's. That's why I want the SDS. Also where can I get one of those Down pipe's Scottie? How much, I want one. Other than the SDS, I think that I'm set. you guy's rock! rockon.gif Thank's for the Info, If I have a question I'll post. Thanks.