HybridZ

turbo exhaust color

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

the exhaust side of my t3 is coated with a orange/brown color soot as opposed to the normal black that I am used to. Anyone familiar with this? is this an indication that I am running too lean?

Thanks

I may be wrong on this one, but I think it can be normal. My turbo has gotten hot enough to see that it is partially glowing (like on the thinner parts of the metal). My air/fuel meter shows that I don't run lean, and the car doesn't act as if it has run lean.

At those temps I think a combination of rust, oil, and all other chemicals under the hood end up turning that color. I've seen it more so on some cars than others in the bone yard. It sand blasts off without a problem. If you want to see if you are really cooking that turbo too much and you have some time try taking off that back plate that contains the waste gate door and look to see if there are cracks around the waste gate hole. I almost think a couple hair line cracks might be normal for high mileage, but if you have something that is a gaping crack then the turbo has probably at one point or another been heated up a few times too much.

If you are concerned about running lean I'd install a air/fuel ratio gauge. Pretty simple install, just one wire to the O2, and give it power. They sell for around $50.

If you are talking about the inside of the turbo, you are probably seeing what remains of using some sort of octane booster. It will turn your combustion chamber and exhaust ports and all that a nice reddish brown color.

If it is the outside, I guess I would go with Tony's explanation since I have no idea. :D