HybridZ

what is a t-3/t-4 hybrid

Guest Paul Felker

Guest Paul Felker

could any body please explain what a t-3/t-4 hybrid is. (I already searched the archives). I took my old t-3 apart and i cleaned it all up. I also bought a new t-4 at a swap meet for a hundred bucks,it didnt have a wastegate!!so i have these two turbos on my work bench and i take the new t-4 apart and take the new t-4 bearing housing and put the old t-3 exhaust wheel and the new t-4 intake wheel and put all that together, it spins freely and no play at all. then i put the stock t-3 exhaust housing on with the waste gate that all went together perfectly, then last i put the intake side on which is the new t-4 intake side. So did i just build a t-3/t-4hybrid in my work shop? It all fit together perfectly the wheels spin perfecly. cheers.gif Also on the intake side it says A/R 50 anybody know what that means?? thanks in advance

I am not sure what you built, but a hybrid as you have asked is a t3 turbine section mated with a T4 compressor section.

You may have put one together, but there is a lot more involved that just assemblying it. It should be balanced, and that takes specialized equipment.

One other thing, there should not be more than a 1.25 ratio between the size of the turbine to the compressor wheel.

It would be nice to know what size turbine wheel and compressor wheels you have.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

You are correct! A T3/T4 involves mating a T3 turbine housing to a T4 compressor housing. The T4 compressor can be of T04B or T04E compressors. You shoudl have someone balance it just to make sure it is within specific tolerances. The .50 A/R stamped on the side of the compressor housing tells me that that is a .50 A/R T04E compressor housing. You can have several different trims of compressor wheels in there. If you really wanted to know what trim compressor wheel is in there you would have to measure the inducer and exducer.