HybridZ

T3/T04b Installation?

Guest jt240z

Guest jt240z

I should be receiving a T3/T04b rebuilt turbo within a few days. flamedevil.gif I do have a few installation questins: :confused:

1: The turbo will come with a 3" compressor inlet and 2" outlet. What is the best way to connect the AFM and J-Pipe?

2: Will the standard T3 waist gate actuator work with the T4b housing?

3: Will I need to add a spacer between the turbine housing and the exhaust manifold?

I went with the T3/T4 rebuild instead of rebuilding my stock T3 because I planned to upgrade to intercooler quickly and up the boost to about 14psi.

Looking for people with experience using the T04b housing to help me with this installation. I can do a fair amount of fabrication if needed.

hey jt i have a hybrid turbo but it's a t4e and i didn't use a spacer.I actually took off some of the metal on the exhaust manifold and it fits fine...i had to mod the heat shield but so far it's fine.You could have ran 14 psi with the stock turbo i had mine upto 18 psi,i know that 14 psi on a stock turbo is way different than a t4.On mine i had to get a custom piece for the afm to hook it up and the ic pipes i run are 2.5" and it's the same size as the compresor outlet.If you want to hook it to the afm and turbo i suggest going to the hardware store and look in the plumbing section(wish i would have before i bought my adapter)they have rubber pieces that are perfect.I'd just use the same size ic pipes as the turbo outlet but if they are smaller or bigger just get a good rubber hose and it should strech.this is just my opinion thouht i'd try to help hope it does :D

Guest jt240z

Scotty,

Thanks for the info. I plan on starting with a pair of Saab 900 intercoolers welded together to form a single intercooler with new end tanks. I picked them up for $10.00 each so I don't have to much to loose. I'll use the 2.5" steel or alluminum tubing to route my inlet and outlet lines. I also have a 60mm 240sx throttle body I need to make a spacer for. I'm just try to figure out how to make a good compressor inlet pipe that connects from the AFM to the turbo. I also have a 1st Gen. eclipse BOV currently mounted in my J-Pipe to consider. Sometimes I think I need to call a plumber. :eek:malebitchslap.gif

For now I'm going to use the stock ECCS computer,injectors and fuel pump, but I picked up a megesquirt fuel injection computer to play with.

So many toys and so little time. 2thumbs.gif - JT

1: The turbo will come with a 3" compressor inlet and 2" outlet. What is the best way to connect the AFM and J-Pipe?

The inlet is a 3". The J pipe connects the sameway as it did with the stock turbo. As for the AFM hose, some cut their hose. I used a 3" mandrel pipe.

2: Will the standard T3 waist gate actuator work with the T4b housing?

It fits exactly as the stock t3 did. I'm running a .57 trim with a .63 a/r so I had them make the wastegate hole bigger and put a bigger wastegate flap (I forgot the anem of the flap) =) to prevent boost creep. Currently I don't get any boost creep.

3: Will I need to add a spacer between the turbine housing and the exhaust manifold?

No, not with the T04b housing. Scotty was lucky that he had to do only a little shaving. The T04E housing I had needed a 1" spacer.

Make sure to get a BOV if you start going over 8 psi. You defiantly need one if your boosting over 12 psi, you'll turbo won't last long.

Hope this help

On my hybrid, the stock wastegate actuator did not work, the bolt spacing did not match up entirely. I could get one in, but not two.

I sent my turbo off to Top End and had them make a bracket for me and used one of their dual port wastegate actuators. All I had to do was clock the turbo the way I wanted it, and they did the rest. Thier dual port actuator is stouter than the Nissan unit, and I use the bottom port to raise my boost above my preset level.

Probably any machine shop in your area could fab up a bracket for you if you have problems. I found the swap frustrating since I went from an old rotomaster t4 set-up to the hybrid. The rotomaster turbo was easy to take off, and had an external wastegate. I should have went that route with the hybrid, but did not.

I would use bigger intercooler plumbing than 2 inch if it were me. I have that right now, and it is holding me back according to a guy in town who had a Z and spent alot of time on the dyno with it. I will likely use 2.5 next time and see what that does. You can get good silicon and nitrile hoses fro Turbonetics, or if you have a diesel truck parts store in your area, you may be able to get some there. I got several 3 inch pieces for plumbing my MAF when I converted to JWT stuff. It is nice and thick, and sticky.

I would also get some good clamps for the intercooler lines, or use double hose clamps. I finally went to T bolt clamps on mine. Blowing an intercooler line is rough on the turbo, and you will blow them once you start throwing some boost at the car.

A BOV is a must too. I would spend the money and get a good one like a greddy or something. You need to make sure the thing has a stout enough spring to keep it from venting boost when you are under full throttle.

If you have not done so, a bigger fuel pump is also a wise upgrade. The hybrid turbo's flow some serious air versus the stock turbo, so you need to make sure your pump is up to the task, especially if you go to a rising rate of gain fuel pressure regulator.

Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Ron,

hail.gif

This is just the type of information I was looking for. I can hardly wait to get the turbo delivered. I've had several well built (200+ HP) NA L28 240Z's and I'm excited about the prospects of a 300+ HP 240Z. 2thumbs.gif