HybridZ

What kind of Turbo is This?????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi,

i have a turbo that i took off out of a saab engine and i was wondering if you guys can show me how to find out what model it is? i always hear people talking about T3/T4 and was wondering what this number means.Thanks in advance

lloyd

Guest Anonymous

I'm pretty sure its a T-3, most that I have seen for sale were T-3's. The number is a model designation. The T-3 will have a certain range of performance, a T-3/T4 is a small exhaust turbine with a bigger compressor wheel and housing off a larger model of turbo which just happens to fit. I guess is supposed to spool up fast and give good boost. Well thats my weak knowledge on it.

Regards,

Lone

I think Lone is right in regards to the Saab turbo being a T3.

The hybrid you refer to is a T3 turbine section paired with a T04B or E compressor housing and a b or E compressor wheel. The benefit is you get the flow of a T4 with the spoolup charactoristics of a T3. The E compressor and wheels are generally better suited for higher boost applications than the B serious, but sometimes, I think depending more on the turbine housing used, there are fitment problems with an E housing on a Z. A spacer eliminates this problem though.

Hybrids work better on smaller displacement engines, and most of the really fast Z guys here who are turbo charged run big hybrids or full T4's and T series turbo's. I have a hybrid right now that is going to get upgraded to a bigger compressor wheel, although going to a T4 would not scare me either. T4's are very versitile.

Any way you go, the best advice I can give you is to get a turbo that offers you some growing room. Boost is addictive, and once you see how much power you can pick up by adding more boost, and more fuel to go with it, the chances are you will want to increase your boost level.

The Saab turbo is probably a Garrett T3. I picked one up at a JY to rebuild and it has an external wastegate although I think the later model Saabs might have internal wastegates. I know what various cars came with T3s but what I need to know is what cars (or trucks) came with T4s as OEM turbos? DAW

DAW you are much more likely to find a t4 on a deisel truck of some sort, or some of the gas V-8 turbo conversions. The downside is these things will have huge AR ratio's on the turbine side. I think you would be way ahead of the game just to buy a t4 outright, IMO.

Most of the T4's I have seen on ebay have had really large AR ratio's too on the turbine side. OH I think the rx7 Turbo II has a to4. I bet you will still have to get housings for it too. I think they have large AR's on the turbine side as well.