HybridZ

internal waste gate

Guest hgray14

Guest hgray14

If a turbo comes with an internal wastegate can an external still be added? Will the internal wastegate need to be removed? I keep reading that an external wastegate gives you more control.

thanks

Houston

I may have some dissent on this, but I have an internal wastegate, and I can control it just fine. I think starting with a good one is the key, and the nissan one is not very good in my opinion.

An external is better for a couple of reasons. One, they are generally larger, which gives them the better control you may need if you have a big turbo and are not running alot of boost. If you are running alot of boost, then the big wastegate is not really necessary since most of the exhaust is going to be running thru the turbine.

The second, an external wastegate is a way to get extra exhaust flow out of your set up. You are bypassing the turbine and provided you run a separate muffler or vent it to the atmosphere, you have increased your exhaust flow.

For the most part, on a hybrid, I don't think you need an external. I had one on a T4 and I hated the racket. An external increaases your cost and complexity. The choice really boils down to what you want.

Also, an interal wastegate can add turbulence to the excaping gasses from the turbine.

The old waste gate hole can be covered and then welded up. Then mount your external where ever is best. "Maximum Boost" has great pointers on the best place to mount the port of the waste gate.