HybridZ

volvo ic not good for high boost t4

well guys i got my new bov a blitz and it sounds sweet.But finally the ic gave out,i took my friend for a ride and i ended up blowing the ic pipe off so i put it back on and it didn't run right.So i looked around and my friend found that the ic would flex when i gave it gas and let off just free reving it.I noticed that it bent the bracket holding the end caps on :eek: I also noticed that it made two big holes where the core meets where the end cap is.I bent it back together and epoxyed the holes and it works again.I plan to get a new ic from TIMZ but he has to find another one then i can buy his.So i think i am gonna fiberglass the plastic so it doesn't flex for now.So if you have a volvo ic and plan to run it with a hybrid turbo make sure you reinforce it.The plastic is weak on the end caps.The stock one was fine but this turbo moves so much air that it causes the ic to move alot.Well i didn't expect the ic to last this long so i got my use out of it :D

So if you have a volvo ic and plan to run it with a hybrid turbo make sure you reinforce it.
If you have to consider this, then you do not want to use that I/C, period. Scotty, glad to hear you are getting TimZ's I/C. When you install it, turn the boost way down and start over again because I guarantee if are now seeing 18# at the intake, the turbo is probably pushing 25# or more!!

ya scottie i know this ic isn't that great but it did hold up very good to the beating i gave it.I plan to use it till tim gets another one.I knew from the start that it was not the best but i did need something and if it got me into the 12's then i know it can handle some crap:)

hey rated i think i broke mine cuz it flew off two times really hard when the ic hose came off from not tighting it.So i think it's mostly my fault.So far it's holding fine and i didn't do anything to it but fix what came off.I plan to use it until it completely breaks.I'll see soon if it'll hold i plan to run at the drag strip next weekend so if it holds up there then i shouldn't have any probs later.Lockjaw i think they are good ic's for the money mine has held up very good and i'm very pleased with it's results and i'm sure i'll hit past 12's with it.I'll post the outcome of the day at the track when it comes.

Uh oh...

You mean that I'm gonna start breaking my volvo I/C with my new hybrid t3/t4? :rolleyes:

Man.. More work..more parts..more money.

Mine so far is holding 10psi just fine...I've been plagued with an I/C pipe popping off near the outlet side of the turbo. I was running 16 psi, but it would pop off after a few runs. :mad:

I was running the boost at 10 last night to test another style of pipe clamp, and is taking 10 psi no problems now.. I plan to check the pipe once more, for slippage, then turn it back up to 15 or so and see how it holds.

Anyone have a close up pic of proper I/C hose? I'm using some different pipe I found at a hose mfg, and it 1/3 the cost. it has held no probs on 2 of the 3 connections...even with out clamps!!!.. a bit of a tight fit eh? The other one that gives me trouble is closest to the turbo and I think the heat is softening it. I sanded off the steel pipe it connects to, and I think that it is now slightly undersized, and is part of the cause of the pipe not holding as well.

I found some silicone hose from a Detroit desiel parts/repair facility, and I picked up apiece of hose that looks the same as I/C pipe connectors, except they use it for watercooled i/c's good for 350 degrees.

I plan to use it if this non-standard hose fails again.

Yes i could forgo some of these probs just by buying proper I/C connectors, but when I've gone to order it, I can't seem to get the length I need.. This particular connection, the steel i/c pipe is about 2" apart, and I'm too lazy to remove the pipes again, and weld on an extra piece of pipe to bring them closer together..