HybridZ

78 2+2 conversion

Guest triple_threat311

Guest jwelch

Hi Anthony,

I don't have any answers to your questions but I have seen some threads on this sight talking about the 2+2. If I remember just a little more weight.

I like the 2+2 and I don't think anyone one the sight will laugh at your conversion.

GO FOR IT!

Regards,

John

I know someone here has one. Do a search you'll find him.

If they laugh just malebitchslap.gif them.

All good reasons for doing the 2+2. I know someone that wants to do a 2+2 roadster because the longer body has a more "sleak" look. I believe all the dimensions are the same forward of the drivers seat. I think you're right, just the drive shaft. Which really means no differance. Everyone has the drive shaft custom made to fit the car anyways.

I figure since I've now owned 4 2+2's I can chime in here icon_smile.gif

Yes, the main difference you will have to deal with is the length of driveshaft--other than that, there are no major drivetrain differences.

If they laugh at you, tell em to stick it in their (your choice of bodily orifice here)!

FWIW, I mainly like the 2+2 simply because at 6'8", it gives me a couple more inches headroom

I have heard that the 2+2 has better headroom, and that combined with the fact that you already own it is reason enough to do the conversion! icon_smile.gif

Best thing for a 2+2 is the V8 treatment!! Driveshaft length should be it for any differences. Please make sure you look into doing a JTR-type conversion--they look cleaner IMO, although I'm not sure what real handling improvements it would make on a 2+2 because of the additional length of the vehicle. However, anytime you move the weight toward the center of the car, that is almost always an improvement.

Davy

Guest triple_threat311

I was just wondering, now that I already own the car, what differences if any are there in the 78 280z 2+2 V8 conversion. Is the only difference the driveshaft length? Does anyone else have a 2+2 conversion?

Yeah I know you guys are probably laughing because my car isn't a coupe, but my reasons are:

1) I already have the car

2) I like the longer look of the 2+2

3) Much more cargo space as this will be my daily driver

4) Can anyone say sleeper?

anyways, any info will be appreciated.

thanks

anthony

Mines a 2+2 as well. I bought it converted and its a bit of a kiwi special bonk.gif ,but very similar to the jtr one. Odd as it may seem, I plane to cut the roof of as well. More to due with rust in the hatch then anything else, however. The chassis looks stronger on the 2+2. As far as I can see the drivshaft is the only diff.

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

i have a 78 2+2...i've grown to like it...gotta love them coupes though! i'd love to make it a convertible! has anyone ever done a pantera type hach for the 2+2? just a thought...

Guest Anonymous

My 260z is a 2+2, and will be used to haul kids around soon. The only difference is the driveshaft length. Also, check the rear end, most came with a factory r-200. Mine came with 3.36:1 gears. The brake booster is also supposed to be larger. My Only regret is that I was thinking of going to a solid axle and minitubbing the wheelwells. But I don't thing that I can without loosing the back seat icon_confused.gif .

Rick