HybridZ

turbo identification

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I was at a diesel truck "junk" yard the other day. I saw a couple of HUGE Holsets on Semi trucks. But the one that cought my attention was on a ford work truck type thing. It was larger than any T3 I have seen before. It was Air Reasearch. How can I tell what type of turbo it is? I think it is a T4. The compressor looked about as large as my buddies Turbonetics T3/T4.

Also, has anyone here ever rebuilt there own turbo completely. Who sells rebuild kits? I want to get this turbo and rebuild it myself. I'm sure I can get it cheap.

Hate to bust your bubble, but if it is a diesel turbo, the turbine housing AR is going to be way to large for your engine, unless you have a ncie sized V-8.

That doesn't mean you can't spec out the turbine wheel and get a smaller AR housing, just means you are going to have to buy a housing.

I saw some rebuild kits on ebay, and would suggest you do a search on google or something to find a kit.

Also a T4 requires an external wastegate, and that costs money too.

I pulled my compressor T4 housing/wheel/back plate off of a ford diesel. Just happened to be around the size I wanted, t04b V trim with .60 A/R. The turbine setup was more like 1.0 A/R too big.

The compressor will easily swap onto a t3 garrett, you may have to find out a different way to mount the waste gate actuator.

New bushings/seals can be found from http://www.turbocity.com/

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks guys for your input. I went by there today wanting to get some numbers off if it, but it was pouring rain. I just ran up to it and looked at the turbine. It was BIG. I'm going to get it anyway, since I want to play, and can't leave well enough alone. It was not on a Ford though(my mistake). It was on a International. I know that doesn't matter, just wanted to clarify. Hopefully sometime next week I will get it.