HybridZ

I searched the old forums but........

Guest eric-z

Guest eric-z

hey guys,

I looked through all of the old forums but I pretty much want to know what is involved in turbocharging the na 280zx. this Idea is usually thrown out quickly bofore being discussed much. at a local salvage yard I have found a 280zxt that I use to get alot of parts from. I talked to the guy and he said that he would give me the engine and everything connected to it for $150 I figure thats a pretty good deal. It is frozen and would need a rebuild if I were to use it... but could I just use the induction and the exhaust from it and bolt it on? and I know I can't use the na ecu but can I just plug in the turbo ecu or will I have to change out the wiring harness.

(my greatest apologies if this was heavily discussed and I missed it)

eric confused2.gif

You have to swap out the harness, ecu, distributor, distributor drive shaft, coil and ignitor deal, afm. I guess it goes without saying you would need the exhaust manifold, and I would use the turbo intake as well. Wouldn't be a bad idea to add the turbo head either.

The reason most times we don't get much beyond that point is we usually encourage people to get the turbo engine since it is designed to be turbo charged. An NA engine isn't.

You can do it and it should be fine, just have to be really careful with the boost since the compression is higher on the zx engine.