HybridZ

7M-Z Gets SS Header

Tony240ZT

Found a guy importing performance parts from Japan that had a SS header for a 7M-GTE. He thought it would bolt up a T4, but turns out to only have a T3 flange on it. Has an external waste gate hook up. All nice quality tig welds, with very thick flanges, had it blasted to clean it up. Told the guys to use beads and they used something a lot more gritty than glass beads. Was pretty bummed that they took the shine off of it, but I guess I'll get it Jet-Hot coated now.

Here is a link to the pictures I just took.

I just have a crappy stock 280zxt T3 sitting on it, but definately plan on going with a t3/t4 with upgraded turbine wheel.

Looks like the down pipe will have to have a pretty sharp bend down, but I don't think it'll be a problem. I will definately have to relocate the battery though. I already have an Optima battery, so just need a box for it and wires to mount inside.

Have a waste gate off of a Porsche 924 that I may use, has a 1.25" SS valve, so should do just fine. Oh, one other update I picked up a Turbo XS type H BOV, but plan on making a different intake manifold (probably 4" log w/big throttle body) before doing intercooler piping.

Guest Ian turbo240

NICE! Don't be too concerned about the 90 degree bend in the downpipe. It will help break up the turbulance coming out of the turbine. Just make sure you use 3" or larger pipe. I've heard that some guys are using 3.5" pipe for a sort distance right off the turbo and then necking down to 3". This is supposed to help with reversion or something like that. I think 240Z Twin Turbo (James T) knows about this stuff. Happy turbo'ing!!!

Ian

Nice header and you should be happy with the benefits over the stock cast piece. I would create some type of support system so that you reduce the stress on the header. It must allow the header to move around. I can draw up something Monday to show you how people have done this. Looks great.