HybridZ

Water to air intercooler

Guest Simon

Originally posted by SHANE:

quote:

since the cooling water, without ice, can only be ambient
thats what my thinking is
2thumbs.gif

Water removes heat better than air - it's probably a good bet that with a well done air/water setup the air would remain cooler for longer periods of time. Go read the Autospeed article on intercooler sprayers - you'll learn that intercoolers are as much heatsink as anything else and in that case the more heatsink the better. Water makes having a larger "sink" easier. You really ought to do some reading.

Originally posted by LEN168:

you could always hook up that nx n-tercooler system and run either nitrous or c02 to cool that intake charge, id run c02 just because it wont catch on fire spontaneously, you never know with that open air nitrous spray, you could be on the freeway, somebody throws a ciggerette out the window...ouch

Since when is nitrous flammable? :rolleyes: CO2, if it gets blown into the intake will ROB power - like a fire extinguisher. Nitrous, since it's oxygen bearing will do the opposite. Again, read the Autospeed article - nitrous would have to be used in great volume to see much difference. I've heard of people using as much as 10lbs in a single dyno run to get a decent effect. i'd much rather spray that into the intake where I could take full advantage of the temp drop and oxygen benefits smile.gif

If I were a booster boy I know what i'd use. Evaporative cooling is cheap and dirty and very effective. weird.gif

I'd use distilled water in a windshield washer kit (JC Whitney) to spray over my air-to-air IC. Turn it on with a simple switch on the dash.

Distilled water because it wouldn't leave as much of a mess on the IC.

Good for the street because you only use it when you really wanted that extra few ponies. The whole set-up can't run more than $50. One gallon of water should last at least 2-3 rice-boy challenges.

But hey, what do I know about thermal transfer.

Water removes heat better than air - it's probably a good bet that with a well done air/water setup the air would remain cooler for longer periods of time. Go read the Autospeed article on intercooler sprayers - you'll learn that intercoolers are as much heatsink as anything else and in that case the more heatsink the better. Water makes having a larger "sink" easier. You really ought to do some reading.

i'll let you do all the reading for me there smart guy ;)

if the outside temp is 90deg than the water running through a radiator out in front will not be any cooler than 90deg. if the water in the intercooler is 90deg than the air flowing through it cant cool below 90deg. so without ice, at best, you get inlet temps at ambient. the same or maybe a little better than a good air to air will get ya.

this is on the street, but for drag race only i would go with an air/water and do the ice thing every run.

whoops. well my other excuse is that i dont want to get caught with nitrous either, i remember why i pulled my nitrous kit off my v8 car, too many close ones in two or so days, both the law and my rings... ill go with air to air just for simplicities sake, im not running enough hp to notice either way i guess.