HybridZ

cry to all for help!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

You may want to look at www.speedomotive.com they have some mopar strokers for a 318, takes it 350 cu using a 360 crank in a 318 block. They also have a 392 in. 340 stroker but its pricey and requires aftermarket heads to really bring up the power (550 hp!). The 318 stroker is about a 1/3 the cost though. Lots of choices, but even a strong built slightly warmer than stock 340/360 will shoot the Z down the road REAL good I'd wager. FWIW.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Rick Johnson

They make stroker motors for the 340. I think it is Dick Landy here in Los Angeles that can make a 340 into a 392. As an old died in the wool Mopar fan, I vote for you to go for it. My experience with the 904 was excellent. It is also made in a 4 speed version which would be great.

Guest Anonymous

drewz your comment about being safe to bore over .040 rang a bell in my mind and i thought i would share. i have a friend who owns a lil' red express truck that has a 318 sitting in it, nothing special right well the block is bored .090 over! and he doesn't have any heat problems what so ever. in fact he is always romping on that thing and it just comes back for more.he does to plan to swap it out with a freshened motor since even he is leary about it.

as to the motor i want to run. i have located a small privately owned "junkyard" that has a police interceptor 360 in it. i think that might be fun if i can get ahold of it biggrin.gif its basically a high perf. block and i have heard you can get some serious poower out of them. i think he even has a 354 hemi and a 392 hemi stuffed in there somewhere i might look into those. the only problem is the old coot is NEVER there and i don't know how to get ahold of him, sigh...

those speed-o-motive stroker look nice and i might look into those it just depends on wether or not the pic&pull guy will ever show up.

Guest Anonymous

i almost forgot to mention how suprised i was when i got such a good reception on my idea and really appreciate your input if any of you guys have any ideas please let me know. i want to get all the angles on this so i know what is ahead of me. and get this i now actually want some one to tell any cons they can think of about this swap. that way i could get a nice contrast and a idea of what i can anticapate problem wise in the future of this build. smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm, cons. Well I don't think they're super large.

The starter on the left might be a bit of a problem, depends on its clearance with the steering shaft (meaning by the time the blockhugger misses the starter how close will it be.), on the other hand mopars don't have a problem in they're cars with this, so that may be a mute point.

Oil filter in the back right, longer oil filters may hit the framerail, but thats not a certainty as it doesn't look like it sticks out that far.

Front right mounted mech. fuel pump, if any sort of set back plate is required, may have to go elec. and block off the fuel pump, another gentlemen was saying setback plates wouldn't be required and that stock mopar mounts could be used, so that might not be the case.

Gearing, not sure what the ratios are like on the mopar 5sp, if its from a dakota it might have a pretty low first gear, it would be something worth checking into. Was someone saying something about the tremec being moded for mopars? Might be the ticket.

Vibration dampener interference in the front, depends on the size of the mopar dampener and where it falls out in relation to the steering rack.

The con's as you can see may or may not be a problem, only way to tell is to physically measure each area and see how it'll fit. None of the con's are project killers though. I'm still thinking if the Chevy goes in there, the mopar will to, they're close size wise, both with rear distributers and the mounts might actually be a bit closer to the stock Datsun engine pads. Anyone else think of some possible problems?

Lone

Depending on what year the motor is you may have a factory windage tray on that interceptor motor. That would be a nice freebee. For some that don't know this, dodge used to use a tin tray installed under the intake to keep hot oil from splashing the base of the intake so it would keep a barrier between the two. Ever wonder why dodge big block intakes don't seal on the block? A nice little trick that the triton ford's are now using! wink.gif

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/andrewzcars

Drewz

Guest John Adkins

http://user.icx.net/~skeisler/Transmission/transmission.htm

here's a link to the mopar version tremec TKO.

It's nice to see so many folks with open minds about engine choices! This is great!

v-8 Zfreak, my email is jadkins@pacbell.net...

I'll keep you guys informed of my swap progress (if my 2 kids, job and home improvement projects let me get anything done!

Guest Anonymous

The big block mopars intake rules. Set the lifter pan/intake gasket on there, put the intake on top and go. Simple and effective. Chrysler/Dodge had 'Air Gap' manifolds long before Vic Edelbrock made it a 'new innovation', and for the most bizarre looking intake a early 60's cross ram looks killer. Actually I like they're 383/440's alot, quite a lot of power can be had for just minor engine hop ups. Small blocks are equally potent with a few well chosen parts.

Lone

Guest Anonymous

ouch, thats a little on the pricey side but i guess it is like they say, you gett what you pay for. that is going to do some serious damage to my wallet.

wonder how much a dakota 5 spd would run me and if it would bolt up to a older motor that wasn't considered a "magnum" motor?

oh and before i forget. hey john, what year z are you swapping into? mine's a '79 zx because i was thinking that if yours is a z instead of a zx (i seem to remember you saying yours was a z) it might be kinda cool to compare and contrast what we have to do differently to get the same end result.

what type of sbm do you plan on running? think you're going to go for the keisler? sorry, don't meen to be nosy but i'm just kinda of curious.

------------------

how was I to know that it would do that!..heh..cool...do it again!

Ah Mopar! I love 'em. My first car was a '72 Duster that I stuffed in a 440! That car was a blast! A friend of mine had a '68 Roadrunner with a Hemi in it! Just awesome! Wasn't there a Z with a 392 Hemi in it? I think someone here posted a pic of it.

------------------

http://members.tripod.com/~SnowSurfer/mikekz1.html

Guest Anonymous

Actually it wasn't a 392, it was a early de-soto hemi, way narrower than even the 392 (or 354 or 331 all basically have the same dimensions) (the 426 is massively wide). Give away was the manifold and distributer. But yeah it was a hemi, I posted it off of I believe it was Zcar.com or Zhome can't remember which.

I do think theres no reason with a set back dash though and judious use of steering shaft u-joints that a 331, 354 or 392 couldn't be stuffed in there. Move the seats back, tub it out.. heh... Would be fun (cept in the wallet, Hemi parts are God awful expensive..) smile.gif

Lone

Guest Anonymous

hey you guys, still no luck in getting ahold of the pick&pull man. but no worries, i am making a trip into salt lake city tomorrow and while i'm there i think i will have to check out their junkyards. any suggestions on where to look, maybe dare i ask some #s?

if anybody hacs any ideas i would greatly appreciate as i would like to get this project "officially" started.

Guest Anonymous

oh and i almost forgot to ask you guys if you cold do me a favor. if any of you know where a 340 is for sale (i want to run the police intercepter 360 but if i can't get ahold of the guy this is my next choice)

unfortunetly the town i live in is a big ford/chevy town and not much else in between so pickings are slim. don't go out of your way but if you notice something in the paper or some such could you drop me a line please.

i am embarassed to say that my email address is tiggerboys@citlink.net (dont ask, i had nothing to do with that name).

thanks a million,

patrick

• 8 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi All,

I just installed a 318 in a '77 280 Z. It's a long story, but I did some work for a guy & got a VERY rusty '74 body with a 340, & the '77. Then a friend wrecked his Dodge van & gave it to me. So I had the 318, auto trans, motor mts., shortened driveshaft, & a dodge radiator from a pickup to use. (BTW the 340 turned out to be VERY rusty too :-(

For the front mts, they just used strips of 3/4" x 1 1/4" steel, drilling & tapping them to bolt onto the Datsun (rubber) mounts & welding them to the mopar steel mts. Not exactly my first choice, but they appear to work fine (hey they were still holding the 340!). I had to make another rear crossmember but the '77 mounts in rubber so I just welded part of the van crossmember to the Datsun crossmember. The driveshaft was a TAD short for the '77, but the van had a longer spline front u-joint peice so I used it. I think it's ok....

I used one of the van's speedometer cables - don't remember which one (it had cruise), but all I had to do was cut off the extension on the back of the Datsun speedo. I have no idea how accurate it is. It's a tight fit next to the crossmember too.

Now if I could just get the BRAKES to work I might just get to drive it down the hi-way...........

Also; if anyone has a '77 I would SURE appreciate it if you would look & tell me what color the wires are that run to the oil press. & water temp. sending units.

I've decided to go ahead & get a good aftermarket radiator, & I may re-build a 360 that I took out of a Dodge 4x4 - if I can find a good running 360 to just drop back into it (I want/need it NOW). I have a "purple" cam to go in it from a 340 that I've been saving for a streetrod..... That 340 was 340 H.P., 340 ft.lb. tourqe stock (from a '71 roadrunner), & I have a KILLER cam & other parts for it.

BTW, I'm looking for fiberglass body parts should anyone have/find some: hood, wing, ground effects, the "pantera" rear hatch, & one-peice bumpers/spoiler/ground-effects.

Any questions or if you find parts just e-mail me. :-)

Oh hey; you may be interested to know that the van AC compressor - sitting in the MIDDLE on TOP of the engine clears the stock hood just fine. I left it on 'cause the car had AC so what the heck I may hook it up one day....

Do the MSB swap - you won't regret it!

TIA,

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, congratulations, had I had a better network of people for parts for mopar and more time to get the engine swap done, I would have had no problem using a SBM engine. I had a 904 in a dart and loved that tranny, I've seen them AND 727's built to shift so hard you could hear the driveshaft ring when it hit the gear. That is pretty impressive consider that the torqueflites were the smoothest shifting transmissions bar none. Most of the time on one thats properly adjusted, you couldn't feel the shift AT ALL, just a slight change in rpm. Mopar, great product and way worthy of having in a Z. Congrats, post pics if you have them, I know I'd like to see that swap as well as it sounds like a good one.

Regards,

Lone

Angel,

Congrats on getting it finished (sorta)!! If you have the ability to post pics, there are more than a few individuals on this board who are very anxious to see your solution, no matter what the final product may look like. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I too am planning on putting a 360 in a 240. the drivers side looks to be the only problem. But it looks the same way in the jtr manual. The 360 weights as much as a sbc maybe a little less. I also believe you can use a mechanical fuel pump. If you are going to use the 4 speed od good luck finding a bellhousing cheap. I have called 15-20 places and the cheapest I can find is 100$. Check out the thread on bellhousings for the sizes. I have a 904 in the shed but want to do the shifting myself. Shifter placement shouldn't be a problem with the 4 speed and the auto is no harder than a 350/400/700r4. distributor is same as chevy except no HEI.