HybridZ

how come nothing sounds like a mopar?

Guest tom sixbey

Guest tom sixbey

i want my 302 to sound like the general lee! - all mopars seem to have this exhaust note that is one of a kind! - does anyone know ehta i'm talking about? malebitchslap.gif

Guest tom sixbey

thats what gets me - i have... several in fact. All i can assume is that the heads are responsible for their sound because as far as i can see, the exhaust doesnt seem special at all (nothing more than full length headers, 3" pipes and 30" glasspacks. What firing order do the mopars have? - maybe that has something to do with it...

stupid questions i know, but it's always made me wonder...

Guest Anonymous

To my ear, flomasters give that same sort of pipey throaty rumble that my partners satelite sebring had with a 383 in it. I often refer to it as a 'chp' sound since they used dodges for so darn long around here anyway and they always had that droning pipey sound, I liked it. (not flowmasters as much though. smile.gif ) My bro's 63 Tbird with 390 and a single 3" flowmaster give a pretty good cop car impersonation. Course cops ran FORD too (any Andy Grifiths Show fan would tell you that..)

What always got me was I could tell you a mopar just by they're gear reduction starter(I think thats what it was) but they always had a distinct (I mean like them and no one else) sound when you cranked the starter.

Regards,

Lone

Guest tom sixbey

i know what you mean about the starters too.. - newer fords all have the same "windy" starter sound...

as for exhaust on my car, i might run glasspacks instead of pipes for straight exhaust sections, and dump into turbo mufflers at the rear to round the note out a little bit. we'll see!!