HybridZ

What carb to use

madmanadam

Guest Anonymous

If it requires no smog, I'd just get a edelbrock 800 cfm (summit part # EDL-1413) with an electric choke. Its a tad over 300 bones and a good carb.

If you need a smog replacement carb this one (summit part # EDL-1905) is a thermoquad replacement at 795 cfm but its expensive at almost 500 bucks. If smog isn't an issue its a no brainer to me Adam. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: That top carb is essentially a AFB just like chrysler ran on earlier 383/440's anyway.

Guest Anonymous

Carter has a newer version of the AFB called the AVS. I've used it on my 74 roadruneer with a 440 and had great luck, plus it used to cost less than the edelbrock.

Guest Anonymous

Don't be too quick to get rid of the Thermoquad, it can be made to work. Contact the folks at Jet Performance. They rework Quadrajets and Thermoquads into real performers.

• 7 months later...
Guest Pyrogen_007

I agree, the thermoquad is a pretty decent carb runs our 77 Cordoba 400 4v pretty good and some came from the factory with as high as 925cfm rating, although we are running an edelbrock perfromer rpm 750 cfm in the charger with a warmed over 383, but we are in the process of getting a jet kit for it as it runs lean near mid rpm range.

Guest Pyrogen_007

I agree, the thermoquad is a pretty decent carb runs our 77 Cordoba 400 4v pretty good and some came from the factory with as high as 925cfm rating, although we are running an edelbrock perfromer rpm 750 cfm in the charger with a warmed over 383, but we are in the process of getting a jet kit for it as it runs lean near mid rpm range.