HybridZ

Datsun Water temperature conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have noticed that a lot questions arise about cost for a conversion. I have a little over $30.00 in the water temp conversion alone! A machinist could have done the conversion for what it took me to do it myself. The metric tap costs over $40.00 at your "better" stores. I found one for less than $8.00 (Vermont /American)at an auto parts house. The brass fitting $3.00 at Home Depot.I could not find the required 37/64ths drill bit any where for less than $30.00 and few places had this size.It was getting late and I forked over $20.00 for a smaller 9/16ths drill bit (Made in the USA) to piolt the hole in the brass fitting for the metric 16mm X 1.50P tap .The 9/16ths new drill bit gouged tne bottom of the shoulder area of the brass fitting where the Datsun water temperature sending unit rests against.I used a 1/2 inch reamer to smooth this out. When doing this proceedure do not drill the initial hole no more than 1/2 inch deep with a 1/2 inch drill bit followed carefully by the 9/16ths drill bit for about 3/8ths inch depth.The metric tap will adequetely thread the brass fitting despite the smaller 9/16ths hole.I did not even try to locate a bottoming metric tap so be careful of running into the "smooth" shoulder for the sending unit area with the tapered metric tap.My modified cast iron headers are going to cost about $15.00 less than the Summitt brand block huggers. So it goes. The Datsun sending unit fits deeply into the brass fitting to be out of the way of the headers.

Don't feel bad. I spent more than that. Did a beautifull job making the adapter and then discovered my heads had 3/8 npt. bonk.gif

On top of that I had already installed the motor and couldn't get a drill down there to redrill and tap the head. I was ready to cry2.gif when some one on this board filled me in on adapter that Stewart Warner makes.

b_hand.gif just had to do that

Guest Anonymous

Well at least, I will be able to point down at the adapter and say," I re-made that fiiting " and tell myself, "Yes, fool when you could have bought a whole handful of adapters for a lot less" I plan on three conversions and probaly will not quite break even on the third. Any body want a $30..00 custom made adapter(you pay for the shipping)

Guest Anonymous

I like them Datsun gauges so I can spend a lot more money on some white face gauge overlays or maybe some yellow ones before I get around to after market gauges. I am trying to get this econmy going in my own small way.