HybridZ

Exhuast to oil pan clearence

ZROSSA

Howdy all,

I am still planing the "Most awsume z chevy exhast". I am thinking about runing pipes under the oil pan so I can run 180 degree headers. Any one know what distance I should keep the pipes from the pan. There isnt much room, But i think i can pull it off if I can get close to the pan. Mabye I could wrap them and that would solve the problem. Input Please.

Cheers

Douglas

I think the ground clearance would worry me alot more than the heat from the exhaust. Im not sure how you have your Z set up, but i KNOW mine wouldnt take pipes running underneath the oilpan. Now granted, pipe diameter, suspension setups and tranny sizes vary. My 240Z has a 700R4 in it and Im concerned about ground clearance when running a single 3" on the SIDE of the oilpan. Now, if you have the ground clearance, I would just keep enough gap to allow the pipe to move with engine torque, etc while not hitting anything. The heat radiating from the pipe that far away from the cylinders shouldnt be an issue.

Good luck,

Jason

Guest Anonymous

I routed my left pipe under my 350's pan to join it to a Y by the right header. I used 2.5 inch pipe and you want the pipe about even with the bottom of the pan or higher, but mines within a thick finger or so of the oil pan and it doesn't seem to cause a problem, but oil doesn't get that close to it except when its running back to the sump and underhood/undercar air would keep it cool. Anyway, thats how I worked it, you may be able to squeeze another pipe in front (specially with smaller primary pipes than the 2.5" I was using) to get your 180deg header.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: from the left header to the right is (obviously I guess) a straight shot across and misses the sump completely. (or it did on my stock chevy oil pan.)