HybridZ

Exhaust pass out!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all!

I was wondering if any of you had ever had proboloms with exhaust getting back into the car? and if so what you did to fix it! thank much!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, about 150,000 people have pretty much reported it... (I'm guessing on the production number...) its common on First gen Z's, the short tail with the exhaust right there causes this rolling vortex of exhaust that can come though the hatch and all the seals everywhere (around lights whatever) and I'm quit sure its actually also snaking its way back even into the side window. They usually only do it with the windows down. Fixing it, ummm, well replace all seals and gaskets and keep the window up. ;)

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I know this problem all too well! The design of the Z cars create this problem. If you smell the exhaust when the windows are closed. You must find and seal up every hole around all of the fuel vent lines, wire harnesses, etc. around the rear of the car. Also very carefully inspect and reseal the hatch gaskets.

You can still smell the exhaust with the windows open (when driving) with a stock type exhaust tail-pipe. The shape of the car, at speed creates a suction effect for the emissions. You experiment with tail-pipe options; such as turned down, turned out, longer, shorter, or even switch to side pipes!

My CJ-5 Jeep has the same problem. I have been fighting this battle for a few weeks. Looks like I am going to have to put the exhaust out the side, next. It has been so bad that after a 30 minute ride in the Jeep, my eyes get blood shot and my clothes are saturated with the exhaust smell (but it could be the food and the beer). cheers.giffmad.giffmad.gifpuke.gif

Guest Anonymous

That looks sweet Dan, but it won't fix the exhaust smell.

I exited my exhaust through the center as well and still have the fume issue really bad even after installing new weatherstrip, seals etc. It is really pissing me off as the nausea fairly ruins the driving experience. Next thing I am going to try to fix it is to eliminate the "parachute" that the rear of the car forms as seen from underneath by making some sort of rear tray/diffuser.

I will post if it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I had the same problem with my '71 until I removed the two vent grills just below the hatch glass and put several layers of black electrical tape over the openings, then reinstalled the grills. No more exhaust smell with the windows up.

On '72 and later Zs, round vents behind the small side windows replaced these long rectangular grills, but they could be blocked in a similar way.

--JohnG

Guest bang847

240Zturbo..

That looks sweet!! :D2thumbs.gif

are you running any mufflers? did you trade a smog problem for a sound problem?? :confused: are you that guy who sets off all the alarms? ugg.gif

Nevertheless I envy your work... It be cool if you could work the tips into a bowtie!

Guest zfan

I had a body man weld in my vents in the rear hatch as well as bumper slots etc. in my 71 240 no problem with fumes. I also ran my duel 2 1/2" exhaust 4 to 5 inches out the back and that has helped.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Good tip in sealing the rear side hatch vents to reduce fumes. People spend good money getting high on drugs and you guys are complaining about getting totally wasted on a Zee high. Push that needle pass 100 mph, roll down the windows and breathe those fumes like it is your last because it maybe!

• 2 weeks later...

If this exhaust recirculation appears to be a consequence of the shape of the back end of a Z car, I wonder if a small tail would change the effect? There are several styles out there for sale that would all probably have the same effect on changing the airflow pattern off the back of the car. Any thoughts? Anyone with a tail not having the problem and can comment? How about guys with fuel injection, should run leaner and cleaner, still have a problem?

Danny

Guest Drewz

Tomahawk ur too funeeeeee man!!! cheers.gif Anyways, I have had 3 Z's with different tails and they still had some problem or other with the fumes so I did the rear grill thing and TA DAAAA I can't smell anymore but my drug use has gone up! whats up with that???? (joke) twak.giftwak.gif

Guest Anonymous

I know for sure the BRE style flip up one piece spoiler doesn't help it at all. Mines only a problem with the windows down anyway, and I usally have them rolled up because 1) its freakin hot 2) I'm going so fast I'm affraid of getting sucked out. :D

Regards,

Lone

Ps: What about some sort of interesting back lower valance shape, anyone think that might help?